Atlanta Earns Huge Point as They Fall to Everblades in Shootout
DULUTH, GA - The Gladiators had their sights set on a postseason position at the end of the night as the conference-leading Florida Everblades came to town. The Gladiators fought hard and earned a point in a tight defensive battle as they moved into a tie with the South Carolina Stingrays for the final playoff spot in the South Division.
Atlanta saddled the visiting Everblades with a flurry of pressure early and often. The home team, playing as the Atlanta Flames in the first period, snagged the opening score roughly half way through the opening frame. Zach Malatesta displayed his prowess as a forward with a beautiful toe drag before finding Matt Lane in a threatening position. His one-timer was saved by Callum Booth before trickling to Nolan LaPorte, who buried the second chance opportunity to give Atlanta the first tally.
The division-leading Everblades would not stay down for long. The visitors began to bring more offensive pressure early in the middle period, as Justin Wade and Jay Dickman found Shane Walsh on a wild bounce to tie the game at one just six minutes into the second period. The Atlanta "Knights' clamped down defensively after that in the second period and even into their Thrashers foray in the third period.
Both teams stood tall in the final 20 minutes of regulation despite many near chances by the then-named Thrashers to steal a win in regulation. After five minutes of overtime, Atlanta remained tied with Florida. It would take a shootout to separate the two squads. Blake Winiecki was the only skater to find the back of the net in the three-man shootout as he beat Bonar with a five-hole shot. His tally lifted Florida to the 2-1 shootout win, but the point earned by Atlanta positioned them into the fourth and final playoff spot in the South Division.
Atlanta returns to their designated persona of the Gladiators on Sunday afternoon when they host the Norfolk Admirals at 3:05 PM. Get your tickets today at atlantagladiators.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 15, 2019
- Clutch Callum: Booth Leads 'Blades to 2-1 Shootout Win - Florida Everblades
- Late Push Falls Short in Loss at KC - Wichita Thunder
- Reading Beats out Indy 5-2 in Pennsylvania - Indy Fuel
- 52 Shots Not Enough for Stingrays in 6-3 Loss to Norfolk - South Carolina Stingrays
- Atlanta Earns Huge Point as They Fall to Everblades in Shootout - Atlanta Gladiators
- Reichenbach's 49 Saves Sting South Carolina - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Hammer Nailers in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Kick off Weekend with the Right Stuff in 5-2 Win in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Sandler Scores Twice as K-Wings Fall 4-3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Continue Strong Play at Home in 5-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Gain Two Points on the Monarchs in 5-2 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Send Growlers to Doghouse in 4-1 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- 5,747 Watch Royals Empty Fuel's Tank, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall to the Thunder 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Everblades Add Mercyhurst University Captain Lammon - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 15 - ECHL
- Mariners Sign Holy Cross Defenseman Coughlin - Maine Mariners
- Quack Packs on Sale Sunday - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Looks to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive Tonight in KC - Wichita Thunder
- K-Wings Host Externship for Local Teachers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, March 15 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Final Twelve Games Kick off in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Mental Health Awareness Night Kicks off First of Two vs. Indy - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose Another Close One - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 2-1 Loss to RC - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta Gladiators Stories
- Jerry James Promoted to Team President
- Glads Rally for Postseason Falls Just Short
- Predators Prospect Inks Deal with Atlanta
- South Carolina Survives with Home Victory Setting up Winner-Take-All Game Tomorrow
- Bonar Steals Crucial Point for Atlanta with Miraculous Performance in Net