Late Push Falls Short in Loss at KC
Independence, MO - Wichita made a late push on Friday night, but fell short to Kansas City by the final of 3-2 at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena.
Jason Salvaggio and Stefan Fournier scored for the Thunder while Ralph Cuddemi had two helpers in the losing effort.
Salvaggio got the scoring started for Wichita just 5:30 into the game. Quentin Shore fired a shot from the slot that Schneider was unable to control. Salvaggio jumped on the rebound and slid it in for his 14th of the season. Joey Sides helped the Mavericks take their first lead with back-to-back to markers. His first came at 8:22 as Corey Durocher found him across the slot and he netted his 15th of the year. His second came at 11:32 when Kansas City won a face-off and he buried a pass from C. J. Eick.
Greg Betzold continued to be stay hot as he tallied his 23rd of the season early in the second. He took a pass up the right seam, got past a Thunder defenseman and beat Stuart Skinner with a snap shot to the blocker side to increase the lead to 3-1.
In the third, Wichita carried the play and outshot the Mavericks, 14-3. With 1:03 remaining, Wichita pulled Skinner and were able to cut the lead back to one. Fournier got to a loose puck off a shot from Cuddemi and put home the rebound. Schneider was able to shut the door in the last minute and helped the Mavericks to the win.
Salvaggio has goals in three-straight games. Fournier collected his 12th goal of the season. Cuddemi added two assists and now has 26 helpers on the year.
The Thunder closes their five-game road trip on Sunday afternoon against Allen at 4:05 p.m.
Individual tickets for all games are on sale now. Season tickets are still available for purchase. Get your seats for just $15 per month. All it takes is a $1 deposit per seat to reserve yours today. To learn more, click here or contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 15, 2019
- Clutch Callum: Booth Leads 'Blades to 2-1 Shootout Win - Florida Everblades
- Late Push Falls Short in Loss at KC - Wichita Thunder
- Reading Beats out Indy 5-2 in Pennsylvania - Indy Fuel
- 52 Shots Not Enough for Stingrays in 6-3 Loss to Norfolk - South Carolina Stingrays
- Atlanta Earns Huge Point as They Fall to Everblades in Shootout - Atlanta Gladiators
- Reichenbach's 49 Saves Sting South Carolina - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Hammer Nailers in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Kick off Weekend with the Right Stuff in 5-2 Win in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Sandler Scores Twice as K-Wings Fall 4-3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Continue Strong Play at Home in 5-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Gain Two Points on the Monarchs in 5-2 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Send Growlers to Doghouse in 4-1 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- 5,747 Watch Royals Empty Fuel's Tank, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall to the Thunder 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Everblades Add Mercyhurst University Captain Lammon - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 15 - ECHL
- Mariners Sign Holy Cross Defenseman Coughlin - Maine Mariners
- Quack Packs on Sale Sunday - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Looks to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive Tonight in KC - Wichita Thunder
- K-Wings Host Externship for Local Teachers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, March 15 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Final Twelve Games Kick off in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Mental Health Awareness Night Kicks off First of Two vs. Indy - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose Another Close One - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 2-1 Loss to RC - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.