Cyclones Hammer Nailers in Weekend Opener
Cincinnati, OH - The Cincinnati Cyclones (44-10-4-3) took down the Wheeling Nailers, 5-1, on Friday night. Forward Alex Wideman led the way with a pair of goals, while forwards Vas Glotov, Pascal Aquin, and Jesse Schultz netted lone tallies for the Cyclones, who extend their winning streak to four games.
Cincinnati came out firing in the first and took a 1-0 lead 4:28 in when Aquin came blazing down the left side into the offensive zone and dropped a pass to Glotov in the circle, and he rifled a shot in past Wheeling goaltender Jordan Ruby.
That lead became 2-0 roughly two and a half minutes later while on the power play, when Schultz sent a feed from below the goal line to Wideman in the slot, and he blasted home his 21stgoal of the season.
The Cyclones continued the offensive pressure and added one more before the break, when defenseman Arvin Atwal sent a slap pass across to Aquin on the right side, and he tipped the puck past Ruby to give Cincinnati a 3-0 advantage after 20 minutes.
In the second, the Nailers picked up the offense, outshooting Cincinnati 15-5 in the frame. Wheeling managed to get on the board when forward Cedric Lacroix cut the Cyclones' lead to 3-1 after the period.
In the third, the offense continued to roll, as 10:12 in, Wideman potted his second of the night when he took a pass from forward Myles Powelland found the back of the net to give Cincinnati a 4-1 lead.
The Cyclones capped off the contest at the 16:37 mark when Powell fed Schultz who hammered in a shot on the power play to seal Cincinnati's 5-1 win.
Cincinnati was outshot, 23-20 on the evening, with goaltender Ty Rimmer stopping 22 in his Cyclones debut. Cincinnati welcomes in the Kalamazoo Wings on Saturday night, in the season finale between the two sides. Face-off is slated for 7:35pm ET.
The 2018-19 season is HERE, and the Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride! Single game, Group, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 15, 2019
- Clutch Callum: Booth Leads 'Blades to 2-1 Shootout Win - Florida Everblades
- Late Push Falls Short in Loss at KC - Wichita Thunder
- Reading Beats out Indy 5-2 in Pennsylvania - Indy Fuel
- 52 Shots Not Enough for Stingrays in 6-3 Loss to Norfolk - South Carolina Stingrays
- Atlanta Earns Huge Point as They Fall to Everblades in Shootout - Atlanta Gladiators
- Reichenbach's 49 Saves Sting South Carolina - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Hammer Nailers in Weekend Opener - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Railers Kick off Weekend with the Right Stuff in 5-2 Win in Manchester - Worcester Railers HC
- Sandler Scores Twice as K-Wings Fall 4-3 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Continue Strong Play at Home in 5-1 Win - Wheeling Nailers
- Railers Gain Two Points on the Monarchs in 5-2 Victory - Manchester Monarchs
- Thunder Send Growlers to Doghouse in 4-1 Win - Adirondack Thunder
- 5,747 Watch Royals Empty Fuel's Tank, 5-2 - Reading Royals
- Growlers Fall to the Thunder 4-1 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Everblades Add Mercyhurst University Captain Lammon - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Transactions - March 15 - ECHL
- Mariners Sign Holy Cross Defenseman Coughlin - Maine Mariners
- Quack Packs on Sale Sunday - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Looks to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive Tonight in KC - Wichita Thunder
- K-Wings Host Externship for Local Teachers - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Cyclones Game Day Snap Shot, March 15 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Final Twelve Games Kick off in Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: Mental Health Awareness Night Kicks off First of Two vs. Indy - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Lose Another Close One - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 2-1 Loss to RC - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cincinnati Cyclones Stories
- Cyclones Season Comes to An End Following Game 5 Loss
- Cyclones Pushed to the Brink Following Game 4 Loss
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Central Division Final, Game 4 vs. Toledo
- Cyclones Drop Game 3 in Toledo
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Central Division Final, Game 3 vs. Toledo