Rox Combine for Two-Hit Shutout in Win over Honkers
Rochester, MN - St. Cloud (17-11) took a combined no-hit bid into the eighth inning and beat Rochester 2-0 in the series finale at Mayo Field.
The game remained scoreless until the eighth inning. Nick Marinconz (Cal Poly) led off with a walk and was moved to second base on a sac-bunt from Jordan Barth (Augustana). Marinconz was able to advance to third base on a passed ball. Luke Roskam (Nebraska) then executed a safety squeeze bunt down the first base line and scored Marinconz to go ahead 1-0.
St. Cloud added an insurance run in the ninth inning. Jack Kelly (Minnesota) started the inning with a pinch-hit single to right field. His younger brother Cody Kelly (Minnesota) moved him to second base on a sac-bunt. Nate Swarts (Washington State) grounded out to shortstop, but moved Kelly to third base. He was able to score on a wild pitch to go ahead 2-0.
Luke Albright (Kent State) was incredible in the start for St. Cloud, striking out 10 batters and walking just two batters in 5.1 innings pitched. He hadn't allowed a hit when he exited. Kevin Davis (USC-Upstate) followed him out of the bullpen and hurled 1.2 innings, giving up no hits. Justin Kelly (Utah) earned the win after pitching a scoreless eighth inning. Blake Stelzer (Concordia-St. Paul) notched his sixth save of the season after finishing the game.
For the full box score from Friday's game, click here.
The Rox open a three-game series with the Willmar Stingers and will be home on Saturday. The game will begin at 6:05 pm at Joe Faber Field.
If you would like more information on tickets for the 2020 season, or more information regarding this press release, please contact the Rox front office at 320-240-9798 or visit stcloudrox.com.
Images from this story
Luke Roskam of the St. Cloud Rox at bat
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 8, 2020
- Dock Spiders Welcome New-Look Rivets to Fondy with 15-1 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Howard's Homers Lift Honkers to Big Win - Rochester Honkers
- MoonDogs Bats Go Stale After Second, Honkers Pull Away for Weekend Win - Mankato MoonDogs
- Power Leads Rafters to Comeback Win over Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Chucks Fall to Rafters After Tough Ninth Inning - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bombers Drop All Three in Triple Header, as Long-Time Bomber Says Goodbye - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rox Beat Stingers Behind Stellar Pitching - St. Cloud Rox
- Growlers Sweep Tripleheader with Bombers, Tighten Their Grip on First Place in SW Pod Standings - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mental Errors Cost Resorters - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rox Take Down Stingers Anchored by Starting Pitching - Willmar Stingers
- Buban Homers in 3-2 Kenosha Win - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rafters and Woodchucks Battle Saturday Night - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Travels to La Crosse for Weekend Set - Green Bay Booyah
- Loggers Offense Busts out in 15-3 Win over Woodchucks - La Crosse Loggers
- Spiders Sink Rafters in Commanding 13-0 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rox Combine for Two-Hit Shutout in Win over Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Despite Result, Pitchers Duel Delights Mayo Field Crowd - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.