Despite Result, Pitchers Duel Delights Mayo Field Crowd
ROCHESTER, MN - Unable to recapture last night's magic, the Rochester Honkers (5-22), were challenged in each inning by St. Cloud Rox (16-11) pitching staff, only mustering five baserunners on the night while striking out 13 times in the 2-0 loss at home.
Rox starter Luke Albright was rolling through four innings, retiring the Honkers in order each time up. Were it not for a leadoff walk by Tanner Tweedt (Sacramento City) in the Fifth, each of the five frames Albright tossed would have gone down as 1-2-3 innings.
The Flock finally knocked Albright out in the Sixth, though, when Jacob Shaver (Arizona) worked a four-pitch walk. Shaver's night at the plate was quietly one of his better performances of the season. Going one-for-two with a walk and a stolen base - only his second stolen bag of the 2020 campaign - Shaver bounced back from a five-game skid where he had not appeared on base.
Following Shaver in the eighth inning was Kyle Huckstorf (Iowa Western), who connected on a 1-2 fastball and blooped a single to center. It marked the first time in the game that the Honkers could get baserunners on back-to-back. "Huck" has now tallied hits in consecutive games following his four-for-four night last night.
We would be remiss not to mention the pitching effort on the Honkers' end. Starter MacGregor Hines (Houston) and reliever Chris Stefl (St. John's) put together their best performances of the season, going seven combined innings of shutout ball. Hines, making his second start against the Rox, steadied himself versus a lineup who had his number coming into tonight: the Rox hit Hines at a 14/33 mark this season, good for a .424 batting average. The righty would add three strikeouts to his season total of 15 (tied for fifth on the team with Stone Churby [Sacramento State]).
As for Stefl, the Red Storm lefty was making his final appearance of the 2020 Northwoods League season, and he gave it his all. The command on the offspeed pitches were there, which he utilized via the curve and slider to strikeout four of the seven batters he faced.
Tomorrow night, the Honkers will conclude the three-game home stand with a 6:05 pm CST first pitch against the Mankato MoonDogs. The contest marks the beginning of a home-and-home with the Flock's in-state rival, as the two teams will conclude the season series with a Sunday matinee in Mankato.
"Honkers Pregame Live!" will start promptly at 6:00, where you will get set for all things Honkers and MoonDogs. Be sure to tune in at Portal.StretchInternet.com/NWLHonkers for the broadcast.
Do not forget to connect with the Honkers on social media by liking them on Facebook and following them on twitter @RochHonkers and Instagram @HonkersBaseball. Join the conversation by using the hashtag #UnlockTheFlock!
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 8, 2020
- Dock Spiders Welcome New-Look Rivets to Fondy with 15-1 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Howard's Homers Lift Honkers to Big Win - Rochester Honkers
- MoonDogs Bats Go Stale After Second, Honkers Pull Away for Weekend Win - Mankato MoonDogs
- Power Leads Rafters to Comeback Win over Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Chucks Fall to Rafters After Tough Ninth Inning - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bombers Drop All Three in Triple Header, as Long-Time Bomber Says Goodbye - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rox Beat Stingers Behind Stellar Pitching - St. Cloud Rox
- Growlers Sweep Tripleheader with Bombers, Tighten Their Grip on First Place in SW Pod Standings - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mental Errors Cost Resorters - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rox Take Down Stingers Anchored by Starting Pitching - Willmar Stingers
- Buban Homers in 3-2 Kenosha Win - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rafters and Woodchucks Battle Saturday Night - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Travels to La Crosse for Weekend Set - Green Bay Booyah
- Loggers Offense Busts out in 15-3 Win over Woodchucks - La Crosse Loggers
- Spiders Sink Rafters in Commanding 13-0 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rox Combine for Two-Hit Shutout in Win over Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Despite Result, Pitchers Duel Delights Mayo Field Crowd - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.