Rox Beat Stingers Behind Stellar Pitching
St. Cloud, MN - Zane Mills (Washington State) hurled seven innings and gave up just one run as St. Cloud (18-11) beat Willmar (18-13) by a score of 5-1 on Saturday.
The Rox scored a pair of runs in the first inning to claim an early lead. Ben Norman (Iowa) led off with a walk and Jordan Barth (Augustana) was hit-by-a-pitch. Collin Montez (Washington State) singled to center field to load the bases. Norman and Barth scored in the next at-bat, taking advantage of a Willmar error in the infield.
Jack Kelly (Minnesota) extended the lead to 3-1 in the second inning. The Golden-Gopher singled to right field and scored Andrew Pintar (BYU) from third base.
That score remained until the seventh inning. Jack Kelly and Montez drew walks to set up Garett Delano (Mercer). He delivered with a two-run double to left field and put St. Cloud ahead 5-1.
Mills went the longest of any Rox starting pitcher this season, hurling seven innings. He tossed seven innings and struck out six batters while not issuing any walks. Nate Peterson (Oklahoma State) threw the final two innings and struck out four batters.
For the full box score from Saturday's game, click here.
The Rox will conclude the series against the Stingers with a doubleheader on Sunday. Game one is scheduled for 12:05 pm and game two is slated for a 6:05 pm first pitch. Both games will be played at Bill Taunton Stadium.
St. Cloud returns home on Wednesday, August 12th against Willmar. The game is scheduled for a 7:05 pm start time at Joe Faber Field.
If you would like more information on tickets for the 2020 season, or more information regarding this press release, please contact the Rox front office at 320-240-9798 or visit stcloudrox.com.
Images from this story
St. Cloud Rox pitcher Zane Mills
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 8, 2020
- Dock Spiders Welcome New-Look Rivets to Fondy with 15-1 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Howard's Homers Lift Honkers to Big Win - Rochester Honkers
- MoonDogs Bats Go Stale After Second, Honkers Pull Away for Weekend Win - Mankato MoonDogs
- Power Leads Rafters to Comeback Win over Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Chucks Fall to Rafters After Tough Ninth Inning - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bombers Drop All Three in Triple Header, as Long-Time Bomber Says Goodbye - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rox Beat Stingers Behind Stellar Pitching - St. Cloud Rox
- Growlers Sweep Tripleheader with Bombers, Tighten Their Grip on First Place in SW Pod Standings - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mental Errors Cost Resorters - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rox Take Down Stingers Anchored by Starting Pitching - Willmar Stingers
- Buban Homers in 3-2 Kenosha Win - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rafters and Woodchucks Battle Saturday Night - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Travels to La Crosse for Weekend Set - Green Bay Booyah
- Loggers Offense Busts out in 15-3 Win over Woodchucks - La Crosse Loggers
- Spiders Sink Rafters in Commanding 13-0 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rox Combine for Two-Hit Shutout in Win over Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Despite Result, Pitchers Duel Delights Mayo Field Crowd - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.