Mental Errors Cost Resorters
TRAVERSE CITY, MI - Mental errors doomed the Great Lakes Resorters tonight as they fell to the Traverse City Pit Spitters 6-1 in front of another sold out crowd Saturday night at Turtle Creek Stadium
For the fourth time this season, Great Lakes committed five or more errors in a single game as Traverse City matched their longest winning streak on the year with their six-straight victory over the Resorters.
Great Lakes jumped on the board first in the top of the third inning as Brendan Ryan roped a sacrifice groundout to deliver the Resorters the 1-0 advantage. Traverse City responded by plating a pair in the bottom of the fourth frame as an errand throw from Great Lakes shortstop, Will Mize, allowed Chris Monroe to reach first base before Crews Taylor and Craig Corliss both added RBI knocks to retake the lead 2-1. Resorters relievers Chad Sommers, D'anthony Beckman, and Grant Smitz all combined to hold Traverse City scoreless through the ensuing three innings before a couple of throwing errors opened the door for a four-run Pit Spitters ninth - highlighted by a pair of RBI-singles from Craig Corliss and Spencer Schwellenbach - to put the finishing touches on a 6-1 Traverse City victory.
Pit Spitters starting pitcher, Cade Heil (4-0), was strong on the mound going six innings while allowing only one run on four hits in his fourth win on the campaign. Resorters starter, Duncan Lutz (0-1), allowed a pair of tallies - none earned - on a pair of walks in his first loss this season. The Pit Spitters improve to 17-3 on the year while the Resorters fall to 3-17. Spitters first baseman and University of Illinois Springfield big man, Chris Monroe, went 2-for-4 with a double and a run scored in the winning effort.
The Great Lakes Resorters return to Turtle Creek Stadium to host the Traverse City Pit Spitters Sunday evening at 5:05PM. Pregame coverage with Nate Wangler begins at 5:00 PM on the Northwoods League Baseball Network. Tickets are available for any Pit Spitters/Resorters contest at pitspitters.com or by calling the front office at (231) - 943 - 0100.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 8, 2020
- Dock Spiders Welcome New-Look Rivets to Fondy with 15-1 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Howard's Homers Lift Honkers to Big Win - Rochester Honkers
- MoonDogs Bats Go Stale After Second, Honkers Pull Away for Weekend Win - Mankato MoonDogs
- Power Leads Rafters to Comeback Win over Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Chucks Fall to Rafters After Tough Ninth Inning - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bombers Drop All Three in Triple Header, as Long-Time Bomber Says Goodbye - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rox Beat Stingers Behind Stellar Pitching - St. Cloud Rox
- Growlers Sweep Tripleheader with Bombers, Tighten Their Grip on First Place in SW Pod Standings - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mental Errors Cost Resorters - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rox Take Down Stingers Anchored by Starting Pitching - Willmar Stingers
- Buban Homers in 3-2 Kenosha Win - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rafters and Woodchucks Battle Saturday Night - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Travels to La Crosse for Weekend Set - Green Bay Booyah
- Loggers Offense Busts out in 15-3 Win over Woodchucks - La Crosse Loggers
- Spiders Sink Rafters in Commanding 13-0 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rox Combine for Two-Hit Shutout in Win over Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Despite Result, Pitchers Duel Delights Mayo Field Crowd - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Traverse City Pit Spitters Stories
- Pit Spitters and Northwoods League Foundation to Giveaway $2,000 in Equipment
- Pit Spitters Release 2021 Schedule
- Pit Spitters 2021 Schedule to be Released at Drive Thru Lunch and Food Drive Saturday
- Limited Edition Pit Spitters Jersey Offered to 2021 Season Ticket Purchasers
- Films on the Field Moved to Next Week