Rox Take Down Stingers Anchored by Starting Pitching
(St. Cloud, M.N.)- Anchored by a strong start from their ace Zane Mills, the St. Cloud Rox beat the Stingers Saturday night 5-1 to improve to 4-0 this season against the Stingers at Joe Faber Field.
Despite the Stingers outscoring the Rox by ten total runs combined in their first seven meetings, the Stingers were only able to muster six hits and one run against the Rox. The season series between the two teams is now 4-4, with the home team winning every game.
Zane Mills was indeed brilliant for St. Cloud on the bump. He threw seven innings, allowing one run on five hits, striking out a handful. Mills earned his second straight win for St. Cloud in consecutive starts.
His counterpart across the way, Seth Miller, while not as dominant, did show flashes of greatness on the mound as well. Miller, making his first start of the year for the Stingers, as well as just his fourth overall appearance, allowed three runs, only one earned against St. Cloud. He went five and two thirds striking out six, taking his first loss of the season.
Stinger bats struggled at the plate for the most part despite a couple of exceptions. Tyler Wilber went 2-4 from the dish with a pair of base hits. Harrison Schnurbusch's second inning single drove in the Stingers' only run of the game. Jake Meyer, making his first start in the order in 2020 for Willmar, drilled a double to the left field corner in the eighth inning. However, despite these, the Stingers were only able to notch the one run, dropping their third straight game.
Willmar is back home tomorrow for games two and three of the series with St. Cloud. Doubleheader starts at 12:05 as Trevor Divinski of the Stingers faces RJ Martinez of the Rox.
The 2020 Stingers season is presented by J.D. Kreps Financial Group. For more coverage of the Stingers visit the West Central Tribune online at www.wctrib.com.
MinnWest Technology Campus Player of the Game
The MinnWest Technology Campus is a business community located in the heart of Minnesota lakes country. We are currently home to 31 companies who create a rich network of talent and expertise in the areas of agribusiness, bioscience and technology. Among them are national and global leaders in their industries.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 8, 2020
- Dock Spiders Welcome New-Look Rivets to Fondy with 15-1 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Howard's Homers Lift Honkers to Big Win - Rochester Honkers
- MoonDogs Bats Go Stale After Second, Honkers Pull Away for Weekend Win - Mankato MoonDogs
- Power Leads Rafters to Comeback Win over Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Chucks Fall to Rafters After Tough Ninth Inning - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bombers Drop All Three in Triple Header, as Long-Time Bomber Says Goodbye - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rox Beat Stingers Behind Stellar Pitching - St. Cloud Rox
- Growlers Sweep Tripleheader with Bombers, Tighten Their Grip on First Place in SW Pod Standings - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mental Errors Cost Resorters - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rox Take Down Stingers Anchored by Starting Pitching - Willmar Stingers
- Buban Homers in 3-2 Kenosha Win - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rafters and Woodchucks Battle Saturday Night - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Travels to La Crosse for Weekend Set - Green Bay Booyah
- Loggers Offense Busts out in 15-3 Win over Woodchucks - La Crosse Loggers
- Spiders Sink Rafters in Commanding 13-0 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rox Combine for Two-Hit Shutout in Win over Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Despite Result, Pitchers Duel Delights Mayo Field Crowd - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.