Power Leads Rafters to Comeback Win over Woodchucks
Wausau, Wis. - The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters hit a season-high four home runs and came back from three runs down in a thrilling 10-7 win over the Wisconsin Woodchucks on Saturday night.
The Rafters shot out to an early 3-0 lead. Hank Zeisler singled to left field and Parker Nolan walked in the second, setting up an RBI opportunity for Angelo D'Acunto. The Rafters catcher got a hold of a 3-1 fastball, slamming a three-run homer over the center field wall.
After falling behind by three entering the eighth inning, Andy Garriola led off the inning with the Rafters second home run of the night, a solo home run to center. Garriola's home run was his second of the season and cut the Woodchucks lead to two.
In the ninth, the Rafters set themselves up well once again. Jason DiCochea was hit by a pitch, Ryan Walstad singled to short left field and Zeisler was hit by a pitch to load the bases for Andy Garriola. Garriola smashed a first-pitch curveball out of the park for a grand slam, his second home run of the night, and the second grand slam for a Rafter this season.
The next batter was Austin Kryszczuk, and he echoed Garriola with a home run of his own to left field. Kryszczuk's home run was his first in a Rafters uniform and the fourth of the night for Wisconsin Rapids, a season high.
Rudolph, WI native Donovan Brandl worked a scoreless eighth inning and received the win. Brayden Bonner struck out two in a scoreless ninth and recorded his pod-best fifth save of the year, his sixteenth save of his Rafters career.
The Rafters improved to 25-10 with the win, best in the Wisconsin-Illinois Pod by two games. Wisconsin Rapids hosts the Woodchucks tomorrow in game two of the series. Coverage of the Wisconsin Woodchucks and the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters begins at 12:50pm on AM 1320 WFHR and at 1:00pm on the Northwoods League Baseball Network.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 8, 2020
- Dock Spiders Welcome New-Look Rivets to Fondy with 15-1 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Howard's Homers Lift Honkers to Big Win - Rochester Honkers
- MoonDogs Bats Go Stale After Second, Honkers Pull Away for Weekend Win - Mankato MoonDogs
- Power Leads Rafters to Comeback Win over Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Chucks Fall to Rafters After Tough Ninth Inning - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bombers Drop All Three in Triple Header, as Long-Time Bomber Says Goodbye - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rox Beat Stingers Behind Stellar Pitching - St. Cloud Rox
- Growlers Sweep Tripleheader with Bombers, Tighten Their Grip on First Place in SW Pod Standings - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mental Errors Cost Resorters - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rox Take Down Stingers Anchored by Starting Pitching - Willmar Stingers
- Buban Homers in 3-2 Kenosha Win - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rafters and Woodchucks Battle Saturday Night - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Travels to La Crosse for Weekend Set - Green Bay Booyah
- Loggers Offense Busts out in 15-3 Win over Woodchucks - La Crosse Loggers
- Spiders Sink Rafters in Commanding 13-0 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rox Combine for Two-Hit Shutout in Win over Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Despite Result, Pitchers Duel Delights Mayo Field Crowd - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.