MoonDogs Bats Go Stale After Second, Honkers Pull Away for Weekend Win
Rochester, Minn. -Â Five unanswered runs for the Rochester Honkers between the sixth and seventh innings guided them to a 7-3 win over the Mankato MoonDogs, Saturday.
In the early going, The MoonDogs and Honkers took turns scoring runs. Each side scored a run in the first and second innings.Â Michael CurialleÂ put the Dogs on top first with a solo home run on the game's second pitch. After two innings, it was 2-2 at Mayo Field.
After that, it was Rochester's game to lose. The Honkers scored five consecutive runs and had their tear rounded out with a three-run home run viaÂ Pearce HowardÂ in the seventh. Howard logged each of the Honkers' four RBI in Saturday's game.
The MoonDogs scored once in the ninth, but still dropped the first game of the weekend series, 7-3.
The Honkers finished the night with one more hit than the MoonDogs, 6-5. An advantage in the errors column went to the MoonDogs, who finished with a perfect zero miscues in the field. The Honkers had one error.
Garnering the win for Rochester was their reliever,Â Salvatore Ferro (1-2), who went four frames from the fifth through the eighth. He gave up one hit, walked a pair and struck out four.Â Jack ZalaskyÂ got his first save when he closed out the ninth.
MoonDogs starter,Â Jake McMahill (1-2), went five innings and allowed three earned runs but got the loss. The Honkers got hits off McMahill five times while he walked five and struck out one.
Tomorrow, the Mankato MoonDogs (13-19) are back at home to wrap things up with the Rochester Honkers (6-22). The weekend finale at Franklin Rogers Park in Mankato, Minn., will begin at 5:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 8, 2020
- Dock Spiders Welcome New-Look Rivets to Fondy with 15-1 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Howard's Homers Lift Honkers to Big Win - Rochester Honkers
- MoonDogs Bats Go Stale After Second, Honkers Pull Away for Weekend Win - Mankato MoonDogs
- Power Leads Rafters to Comeback Win over Woodchucks - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Chucks Fall to Rafters After Tough Ninth Inning - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Bombers Drop All Three in Triple Header, as Long-Time Bomber Says Goodbye - Battle Creek Bombers
- Rox Beat Stingers Behind Stellar Pitching - St. Cloud Rox
- Growlers Sweep Tripleheader with Bombers, Tighten Their Grip on First Place in SW Pod Standings - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mental Errors Cost Resorters - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rox Take Down Stingers Anchored by Starting Pitching - Willmar Stingers
- Buban Homers in 3-2 Kenosha Win - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rafters and Woodchucks Battle Saturday Night - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Travels to La Crosse for Weekend Set - Green Bay Booyah
- Loggers Offense Busts out in 15-3 Win over Woodchucks - La Crosse Loggers
- Spiders Sink Rafters in Commanding 13-0 Win - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rox Combine for Two-Hit Shutout in Win over Honkers - St. Cloud Rox
- Despite Result, Pitchers Duel Delights Mayo Field Crowd - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.