Rockets Make a Splash with Second Trade of the Day at Bantam Draft
The Kelowna Rockets made a second trade this morning at the 2019 Bantam Draft, acquiring defenceman Jake Lee, forward Dillon Hamaliuk and goaltender Cole Schwebius from the Seattle Thunderbirds. In return, the Thunderbirds receive the Rockets 10th overall pick in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft that was acquired earlier this morning from the Brandon Wheat Kings, the Rockets 2nd round pick in 2021 and first-round pick in the 2022 WHL Bantam Draft and Conner Bruggen-Cate.
"This trade will have a big impact on our team," said Rockets President/General Manager, Bruce Hamilton. "Lee is a strong defenceman, he always has an influence when he is on the ice. He is a top prospect that will hear his name called alongside fellow Rockets defencemen Kaedan Korczak and Lassi Thomson at the NHL draft.
"Hamaliuk is another top player, he was having a great start to the season before an injury ended it. Schwebius is a Kelowna product, he will give us the insurance that we need in net moving forward."
Lee, a 2001 born Sherwood Park, AB native was originally drafted by the Seattle 18th overall at the 2016 Bantam Draft. In 135 regular season games with the Thunderbirds the 6'2, 216-pound defenceman has 34 points (7G, 27A). This past season he posted a career-best 24 points (3G, 21A) in 67 games.
He played with Korczak and Thomson on Team Orr at the Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects game this past January. The NHL's Central Scouting Service has ranked Lee 146th among North American skaters for the upcoming NHL Draft this June in Vancouver.
Hamaliuk (6'3, 193 pounds) was drafted by the Thunderbirds 111th overall in the 6th round of the 2015 WHL Bantam Draft. The Leduc, AB product has 66 points (27G, 39A) in 120 regular season games with Seattle. He had 26 points (11G, 15A) in 31 games this past season before it came to an end due to injury.
The 2000 born forward suited up for Team WHL at the CIBC Canada Russia Series this past November. He was invited to play at the Sherwin-Williams CHL/NHL Top Prospects game, but missed the game because of his injury.
He was rated as 'B' prospected on Central Scouting's November Players To Watch List, which indicated he was projected to be drafted in the second/third round at the upcoming NHL Draft. After suffering his season-ending injury he was listed as a limited viewing prospect on the midterm rankings.
Schwebius was the T-Birds 216th pick in the 10th round of the 2016 Bantam Draft. This past season the 5'11, 171-pound goaltender appeared in 17 games posting a 5-8-2-0 record with a 3.89 goals against average (GAA) and an .886 save percentage (SV%).
Lee and Hamaliuk were both members of the 2017 WHL Champion Seattle Thunderbirds.
Images from this story
Goaltender Cole Schwebius with the Seattle Thunderbirds
Forward Dillon Hamaliuk with the Seattle Thunderbirds
Defenceman Jake Lee with the Seattle Thunderbirds
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 2, 2019
- 2019 Rogers WHL Championship Series Begins Friday in Prince Albert - WHL
- 2019 Bantam Draft Review - Saskatoon Blades
- Americans Take 10 Skaters in 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Tri-City Americans
- Royals Select Nine Players at 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Victoria Royals
- Kelowna Rockets Statement Regarding Lassi Thomson - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Select 10 Players in 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Prince George Cougars
- Rebels Move up to Pick Mayo in Bantam Draft, Select Another Two-Way D-Man in Second Round - Red Deer Rebels
- Winnipeg ICE Make Nine Selections in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Winnipeg Ice
- Kelowna Rockets Load up with Trades and Picks at 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Vancouver Giants 2019 WHL Bantam Draft Recap - Vancouver Giants
- Broncos Draft 10 Players and Make One Trade on WHL Bantam Draft Day - Swift Current Broncos
- Former Wheat Kings Named to Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame - Brandon Wheat Kings
- McCrimmon Named Knights General Manager - Brandon Wheat Kings
- T-Birds Make Two First Round Picks at Bantam Draft - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Oil Kings Select Nine Players in 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Edmonton Oil Kings
- WHL Completes 2019 WHL Bantam Draft in Red Deer - WHL
- 33 Manitobans Selected at 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Hurricanes Finish Bantam Draft with Nine Selections - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Raiders Select 12 Players in 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Make 10 Picks in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Forward Ben Thornton Headlines Chiefs' 2019 Draft Class - Spokane Chiefs
- Tigers Select 11 Players in WHL Bantam Draft - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Cougars Acquire Fischer O'Brien from Hurricanes - Prince George Cougars
- Hurricanes Acquire Phare from Prince George - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Pats Take Six Players in Rounds Five Through Nine to Conclude the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Regina Pats
- Hurricanes Acquire Thacker from Swift Current - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Kamloops Blazers Select Nine Players in 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Kamloops Blazers
- Winterhawks Trade Shane Farkas - Portland Winterhawks
- Pats Make Four Selections in Rounds Two and Three of the WHL Bantam Draft - Regina Pats
- Isaac Johnson Traded to Winnipeg for Draft Pick - Tri-City Americans
- Royals Acquire Shane Farkas from Winterhawks - Victoria Royals
- Winnipeg ICE Acquire '99-Born Forward Isaac Johnson from the Tri-City Americans - Winnipeg Ice
- Royals Select Defenceman Jason Spizawka 19th Overall at 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Victoria Royals
- Wheat Kings Select Three in Round One of WHL Bantam Draft - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Giants Make Two Selections in Round 2 of the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Vancouver Giants
- WHL Completes First Round of 2019 WHL Bantam Draft in Red Deer - WHL
- Hitmen Select Grayden Siepmann 13th Overall in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Oil Kings Announce First Round Selection of 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Raiders Select Niall Crocker 22nd Overall - Prince Albert Raiders
- Tigers Select Oasiz Wiesblatt 12th Overall - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Chiefs Snag Thornton at 15th Overall - Spokane Chiefs
- Pats Take Layton Feist in Round One of the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Regina Pats
- ICE Select Matthew Savoie, Conor Geekie First and Second Overall Respectively in 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Winnipeg Ice
- Winnipeg ICE Acquire 2019 Second Overall Pick and Reece Harsch in Multi-Team Trade - Winnipeg Ice
- Rockets Make a Splash with Second Trade of the Day at Bantam Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Hitmen Make Major Trade at 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Kelowna Rockets Make Trade at WHL Bantam Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Blades Make Trade with ICE ahead of Draft - Saskatoon Blades
- Blades Set for 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Saskatoon Blades
- 2019 #WHLBantamDraft Preview: WHL Teams Look to Secure Core Pieces for Future Glory - Saskatoon Blades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.