McCrimmon Named Knights General Manager
VEGAS - On the same day that he was named a 2019 Inductee for the Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame, Brandon Wheat Kings' Owner / Governor Kelly McCrimmon has been promoted to the new General Manager of the National Hockey League's Las Vegas Golden Knights.
George McPhee, the Knights' President of Hockey Operations made the announcement during a Thursday afternoon media conference in Las Vegas.
In this new role, McCrimmon will represent the Golden Knights at the league's General Managers Meetings and be the point of contact for other NHL GMs. McCrimmon will report to McPhee, who will continue to be responsible for all hockey operations decisions and oversee the club's hockey operations team as the Golden Knights President of Hockey Operations.
"This is a very exciting announcement for our club and Vegas Golden Knights fans around the world," said Vegas Golden Knights Chairman and CEO Bill Foley. "George and Kelly are a fantastic team. From the mock draft exercises and preparation leading up to the Expansion Draft, building out our coaching staff, and continually improving our team through the draft, trades, signings and free agency, the work they have done over the last three years has been remarkable. Together they have constructed a championship-caliber team in a very short time. This personnel move ensures that our hockey operations group stays intact and positions our organization for long term success."
"Kelly has been a tremendous addition to our hockey operations group and the entire Vegas Golden Knights organization as a whole," said Vegas Golden Knights President of Hockey Operations George McPhee. "His character, leadership, hockey acumen, and player evaluation at both the pro and amateur levels is exceptional. We are confident Kelly will thrive in this new role. We will continue to build a team and a franchise that our fans are proud to support."
"Working with the Golden Knights has been an incredibly rewarding experience and I am very grateful for this new opportunity," said Vegas Golden Knights General Manager Kelly McCrimmon. "I would like to thank Bill, George, and the entire Golden Knights organization for their support and commitment. We are proud of the foundation we have built and are excited for the future."
McCrimmon was named Assistant General Manager of the Golden Knights on August 2, 2016 and has played a key role in the construction of the Vegas Golden Knights roster and organization. He was instrumental in the team's scouting, preparation and player evaluation leading up to and during the 2017 Expansion Draft as well as the team's inaugural Entry Draft in June of 2017. Since that time, he has assisted McPhee in overseeing all day-to-day hockey operations of the club.
McCrimmon joined Las Vegas after serving as Owner, Governor, General Manager and Head Coach of the Western Hockey League's Brandon Wheat Kings, an organization he has been with since 1988-89. McCrimmon served as Head Coach from 2004-11, and 2013-16. He has helped the Wheat Kings to five Memorial Cup appearances, once as a player (1979), three times as General Manager (1995, 1996, 2016) and twice as Head Coach and General Manager (2010, 2016).
Under McCrimmon's guidance, the Wheat Kings have captured 10 Eastern Division pennants and six Eastern Conference Championships. He was named WHL Executive of the Year in 1994-95, 2009-10, 2014-15, and received the Canadian Hockey League Executive of the Year award in 2009-10.
Since the 1992-93 campaign, when the Wheat Kings established a CHL record that still stands for the biggest single-season improvement of 62 points, the club has won more games than any other team in the CHL and has made the playoffs 22 of the last 24 seasons.
McCrimmon is the Wheat Kings all-time winningest coach, having won over 400 games behind Brandon's bench. He purchased one-third ownership of the Wheat Kings from partner Bob Cornell in 1992, and assumed sole ownership in 2000. A member of the WHL's Board of Governors, McCrimmon also served as Chairman of the league's Competition Committee.
The Plenty, Saskatchewan, native played two seasons in Brandon in the late seventies and was a member of the 1979 WHL Championship club before moving on to the University of Michigan from 1980-84, serving as team captain his senior year. He continues to serve as Owner and Governor of the Wheat Kings.
Meanwhile Thursday morning, McCrimmon was one of several people with Brandon ties to be named to this year's Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame class.
Joining him were former Wheat Kings Marty Murray, Terry Yake, Trevor Kidd and Bob Fitchner. A Carman native, Fitchner also served as coach of the Brandon University Bobcats during the eighties.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from May 2, 2019
- 2019 Rogers WHL Championship Series Begins Friday in Prince Albert - WHL
- 2019 Bantam Draft Review - Saskatoon Blades
- Americans Take 10 Skaters in 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Tri-City Americans
- Royals Select Nine Players at 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Victoria Royals
- Kelowna Rockets Statement Regarding Lassi Thomson - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Select 10 Players in 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Prince George Cougars
- Rebels Move up to Pick Mayo in Bantam Draft, Select Another Two-Way D-Man in Second Round - Red Deer Rebels
- Winnipeg ICE Make Nine Selections in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Winnipeg Ice
- Kelowna Rockets Load up with Trades and Picks at 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Vancouver Giants 2019 WHL Bantam Draft Recap - Vancouver Giants
- Broncos Draft 10 Players and Make One Trade on WHL Bantam Draft Day - Swift Current Broncos
- Former Wheat Kings Named to Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame - Brandon Wheat Kings
- McCrimmon Named Knights General Manager - Brandon Wheat Kings
- T-Birds Make Two First Round Picks at Bantam Draft - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Oil Kings Select Nine Players in 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Edmonton Oil Kings
- WHL Completes 2019 WHL Bantam Draft in Red Deer - WHL
- 33 Manitobans Selected at 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Hurricanes Finish Bantam Draft with Nine Selections - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Raiders Select 12 Players in 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Make 10 Picks in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Forward Ben Thornton Headlines Chiefs' 2019 Draft Class - Spokane Chiefs
- Tigers Select 11 Players in WHL Bantam Draft - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Cougars Acquire Fischer O'Brien from Hurricanes - Prince George Cougars
- Hurricanes Acquire Phare from Prince George - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Pats Take Six Players in Rounds Five Through Nine to Conclude the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Regina Pats
- Hurricanes Acquire Thacker from Swift Current - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Kamloops Blazers Select Nine Players in 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Kamloops Blazers
- Winterhawks Trade Shane Farkas - Portland Winterhawks
- Pats Make Four Selections in Rounds Two and Three of the WHL Bantam Draft - Regina Pats
- Isaac Johnson Traded to Winnipeg for Draft Pick - Tri-City Americans
- Royals Acquire Shane Farkas from Winterhawks - Victoria Royals
- Winnipeg ICE Acquire '99-Born Forward Isaac Johnson from the Tri-City Americans - Winnipeg Ice
- Royals Select Defenceman Jason Spizawka 19th Overall at 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Victoria Royals
- Wheat Kings Select Three in Round One of WHL Bantam Draft - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Giants Make Two Selections in Round 2 of the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Vancouver Giants
- WHL Completes First Round of 2019 WHL Bantam Draft in Red Deer - WHL
- Hitmen Select Grayden Siepmann 13th Overall in the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Oil Kings Announce First Round Selection of 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Raiders Select Niall Crocker 22nd Overall - Prince Albert Raiders
- Tigers Select Oasiz Wiesblatt 12th Overall - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Chiefs Snag Thornton at 15th Overall - Spokane Chiefs
- Pats Take Layton Feist in Round One of the 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Regina Pats
- ICE Select Matthew Savoie, Conor Geekie First and Second Overall Respectively in 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Winnipeg Ice
- Winnipeg ICE Acquire 2019 Second Overall Pick and Reece Harsch in Multi-Team Trade - Winnipeg Ice
- Rockets Make a Splash with Second Trade of the Day at Bantam Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Hitmen Make Major Trade at 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Calgary Hitmen
- Kelowna Rockets Make Trade at WHL Bantam Draft - Kelowna Rockets
- Blades Make Trade with ICE ahead of Draft - Saskatoon Blades
- Blades Set for 2019 WHL Bantam Draft - Saskatoon Blades
- 2019 #WHLBantamDraft Preview: WHL Teams Look to Secure Core Pieces for Future Glory - Saskatoon Blades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.