Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 27 vs. Worcester
Worcester Red Sox (74-73) vs. Rochester Red Wings (67-80)
Tuesday - 6:05p.m. ET - Frontier Field- Rochester, NY
Radio: Fox Sports 1280/iHeartRadio TV: MiLB.tv
LHP Chris Murphy (3-6, 5.17) vs. RHP Joan Adon (2-2, 4.34)
BIRDS CAN'T FLY IN THE RAIN: The Rochester Red Wings and Worcester Red Sox played a rain-shortened contest last night, one which saw the Woo Sox come away with a 6-1 victory after the game was stopped with one out in the top of the sixth...rehabbing lefty MacKenzie Gore was charged with all six runs in his 3.2 innings of work, taking the loss...2B Jake Alu extended his hit streak to 13-games and his on-base streak to 19-games after a 2-for-2 night at the plate...CF Andrew Stevenson logged his team-leading 151st hit of the season after a 1-for-3 night at the plate...3B Jack Dunn notched the Wings first and only run thanks to a sac-fly in the bottom of the second to tie the game...Rochester would fall victim to three homers in the loss...The Wings are set to take on Worcester in their last night game of the year tonight, sending RHP Joan Adon to the mound.
NOT NICE: The Wings move to 67-80 with the rain-shortened loss...based on the Pythagorean Win Percentage, Rochester should be 69-78 based on the number of runs scored and runs allowed.
RAKE ALU: Wings 2B Jake Alu continued his scorching hot September, going 2-for-2 with a double and a run scored in last night's contest...the lefty has now reached base safely in 19-straight games dating back to 9/4 and has picked up multiple hits in 11 of those 16 games, including a hit in 12 straight...During this streak, Alu leads the team in hits (32), home runs (7), RBI (22), and runs scored (17)...
Through 22 games in September, Alu is hitting .410 (34-for-83) with 7 homers, 24 RBI, and a 1.227 OPS
His 13-game hitting and 19-game on-base streak are both the second longest in the International League, with Brian Miller's 15-game hit streak taking the top spot.
HIT MACHINE: CF Andrew Stevenson added to his career-high hit total with a third-inning single to bring his mark to 151, the most by a Red Wing since James Beresford collected 153 in 2015...in 134 games with Rochester this season, the lefty is slashing .278/.343/.456, leading the club in hits, doubles (31), triples (9), walks (46), and ranks second in homers (16)...
His 151 hits are tied for second in the International League, just one behind Durham's Miles Mastrobuoni.
RAIN, RAIN GO AWAY: Last night's contest was called with one out in the sixth inning, with Worcester coming away with a 6-1 win...this is the second game at home that has been called early due to inclement weather (1-1)...the loss snaps Rochester's two-game winning streak, their 80th loss of the season.
SMOOTH CRIMINAL: After going without a stolen base in the rain-shortened contest, Stevenson still sits with 39 stolen bases on the year, one away from being the first Wing to steal 40 bases since Dallas Williams stole 51 in 1981...
Rochester's 153 stolen bases as a team is the franchise's second most in a season, 27 off the record of 180 which they accomplished in 1944.
CHASING HISTORY: CF Andrew Stevenson picked up a hit in last night's game, collecting his 151st of the year...his 151 hits make the lefty the first Wing to collect 150 hits since James Beresford collected 153 in 2015 which is still the most hits since 2000 when Jose Herrera collected 160...
Should Stevenson exceed 160 hits this year, it would be the most since 1976 when Rich Dauer collected 176 in 132 games.
Since 1960 (61 seasons), only two Wings have reached 170 hits in a season when Ozzie Virgil and Pete Ward collected 179 hits in 1963 and 1962, respectively.
151 hits is the highest season hit total for Stevenson in his eight years of professional baseball.
GETTING IT A-DON: Rochester will send RHP Joan Adon to the mound today in hopes of winning their second consecutive series for the first time since late May/early June...in his previous start in the series opener, the 24-year-old worked five innings for the fourth consecutive outing, surrendering just one earned on two hits...
Through four starts in September, he has won twice while posting a 1.77 ERA (20.1 IP, 4 ER)...this is following a 7.41 ERA (17.0 IP, 14 ER) in five starts with the Wings through the end of August.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 27, 2022
- Hernandez & Mieses Go Back-To-Back, WooSox Win 8-6 - Worcester Red Sox
- Stripers Fall 6-4 to Louisville in 11 Innings - Gwinnett Stripers
- Saints Blow Game Open with Seven Run Eighth in 10-3 Victory over Storm Chasers - St. Paul Saints
- Stripers Fall 6-4 to Louisville in 11 Innings - Gwinnett Stripers
- Big Eighth Inning Sinks Memphis in Loss - Memphis Redbirds
- Blanco Stays White Hot with 3-For-4 Night in St. Paul - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sounds Pull Away from Redbirds Late - Nashville Sounds
- Bats Best Stripers 6-4 in Eleven Innings - Louisville Bats
- Indians Muster Just Two Hits in Loss in Columbus, 7-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders' Playoff Hopes Dashed - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Fall to Bulls 10-1 on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Use a Pair of Big Innings to Defeat RailRiders 8-1 - Buffalo Bisons
- Wings Fall to Worcester , 8-6 - Rochester Red Wings
- Bulls Punch Ticket to Vegas with 10-1 Rout of Knights - Durham Bulls
- Tides Allow Late Rally To Jacksonville In Loss - Norfolk Tides
- Brigman, Four-Run Jacksonville Seventh Key 6-2 Win - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Norfolk Game Notes - Norfolk Tides
- Redbirds Game Notes - Memphis Redbirds
- Tonight's Syracuse Mets Game Cancelled Because of Rain - Syracuse Mets
- C Carlos Pérez Promoted to Chicago White Sox - Charlotte Knights
- Toledo Overcomes Five-Run Deficit to Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Toledo Takes Second Straight Over Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (74-73) at Columbus Clippers (83-64) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 27 vs. Worcester - Rochester Red Wings
- September 27 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs vs. Toledo Mud Hens - Iowa Cubs
- Bisons and RailRiders Split Entertaining Twin Bill on Monday - Buffalo Bisons
- Terrific Tenth Takes Toledo Past Iowa in Extras - Toledo Mud Hens
- Sounds Walk-Off Redbirds, Win 90th Game - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Walked off at Sounds in Extras - Memphis Redbirds
- Storm Chasers Score Six Runs in the Eighth, But the Late-Inning Rally Falls Short - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Woods Richardson Dominates, Offense Mashes in 10-6 Win over Storm Chasers - St. Paul Saints
- RailRiders Split Doubleheader - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- I-Cubs Drop Opener in Extras - Iowa Cubs
- Bulls Best Knights 6-2, Magic Number Down to One - Durham Bulls
- Jenista Leads Way in Stripers' 4-1 Win vs. Louisvile - Gwinnett Stripers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Red Wings and BASWA Partner to Bring Rochester Real Beer Expo to Innovative Field
- Rochester Red Wings Mourn the Passing of Blaise DiNardo
- Innovative Solutions New Naming Rights Partner for Home of the Red Wings
- Red Wings Jake Alu Wins International League Player of the Month Honors
- Red Wings, Red Sox Season Finale Canceled Due to Inclement Weather