Rich Clune Named Toronto Marlies Captain
The Toronto Marlies announced today that Rich Clune will serve as the hockey club's captain for the 2020-21 season. He will be the ninth captain in Toronto Marlies franchise history.
Clune, 33, has recorded two goals in eight games this season. In his six seasons with Toronto, he has registered 45 points (20 goals, 25 assists) in 172 regular season games. The Toronto native has appeared in 20 playoff games for the Marlies, collecting five points (2 goals, 3 assists) and capturing the Calder Cup in 2018. He has served as an alternate captain for the past five seasons. Clune has played more than 600 games at the NHL and AHL levels since being selected by the Dallas Stars in the third round (71st overall) of the 2005 NHL Draft.
"Rich has been an integral member of our leadership group for the past six seasons," said Laurence Gilman, Toronto Marlies General Manager. "From his first day with our organization, Rich's strong character, positive mindset and unwavering leadership has made him an exceptional member of our team. His influence has touched each and every Marlies graduate and he continues to inspire our young players on and off the ice. We are excited to see Rich continue to develop, and along with our leadership group, provide invaluable support and guidance."
The Toronto Marlies are the primary development program for the Toronto Maple Leafs. The current Toronto Maple Leafs roster features eight players who were developed with the Marlies (Travis Dermott, Pierre Engvall, Justin Holl, Zach Hyman, William Nylander, Timothy Liljegren, Morgan Rielly and Joseph Woll).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 1, 2021
- Moose Rally Falls Short - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Defeat Amerks, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Stars, Barracuda Postponement Relocated to San Jose on April 14 - Texas Stars
- Morin Assigned to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Amerks Comeback Falls Just Short in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Insider: A Goal-Scoring Juggernaut - Chicago Wolves
- AHL Announces Changes to Barracuda's Schedule - San Jose Barracuda
- Rich Clune Named Toronto Marlies Captain - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Welcome Fans Back to PPL Center at 15% Capacity - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- TSN1200 to Provide Broadcast Coverage of All Belleville Senators Home Games - Belleville Senators
- Roadrunners Reading Day Tuesday with Bookmans - Tucson Roadrunners
- San Diego Gulls Defenseman Jamie Drysdale Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - San Diego Gulls
- Logan Thompson Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month - Henderson Silver Knights
- Pitlick Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Chicago Wolves
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 4 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pitlick, Drysdale, Thompson Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for February - AHL
- Canadiens Agree to Terms on Three-Year Entry-Level Contract with Defenseman Gianni Fairbrother - Laval Rocket
- Logan Shaw Named 4th Captain in Franchise History - Belleville Senators
- Max Willman Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lehigh Valley's Max Willman Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Laval Rocket Release Forward Kevin Lynch - Laval Rocket
- Belleville Senators Sign Goaltender Tye Austin to An Amateur Tryout - Belleville Senators
- Barracuda End Reign 3-1 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.