Logan Shaw Named 4th Captain in Franchise History
Forward Logan Shaw has been named as the 4th Captain in Belleville Senators history today, in advance of Wednesday's home opener.
Born and raised in Glace Bay Nova Scotia, Logan Shaw split 2019-20 playing time with the Winnipeg Jets and the club's AHL affiliate, the Manitoba Moose. He recorded five points (two goals, three assists) over 35 contests with the Jets and seven points (four goals, three assists) and 10 penalty minutes over 16 games with the Moose. He was drafted 76th overall by the Florida Panthers in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, and has been playing in the AHL and NHL since 2013. Shaw joined the Sens in 2021.
In speaking about being named Captain for the first time in his professional career Shaw spoke highly of his parents and the way he was raised being major contributors to his leadership abilities.
"It means a lot to them, as it does to me. It's the way I was raised to always be a good person first and as much as it is an honor for me, its also an honor for my parents as well." Shaw continued; "Just being where I am right now in general I am very proud, a lot of hard work has gone into it but being recognized as a leader on the team is a huge accomplishment for me."
One of the things that made the decision for Head Coach Troy Mann and the coaching staff was Shaw's professionalism during the first 4 games and series of practices over the first part of the shortened season. "Logan Shaw is a consummate professional," describes Mann, "I love his demeanor, it's perfect for this young group that's come in this season. Things are different this year, there are a lot of obstacles and adversity on a daily basis and routines are different. We needed an older guy who's been around and seen all levels and faced adversity to be able to lead the group, and that's Logan Shaw."
Shaw is ready for the challenge of bringing a team together without the regular activities for team building and support due to COVID-19. "Its going to be tough to do those little things that normally bring a team together," said Shaw. "All of what we are doing is at the rink. I think as long as I can make sure everyone feels welcome and feels part of the team, that's where it starts."
Logan Shaw will be the fourth captain in Belleville Senators history, following previous captains Jordan Szwarz, Mike Blunden and Erik Burgdoerfer.
The Senators welcome the Stockton Heat to the Canadian Tire Centre on Wednesday, Mar 5th at 7:00 pm ET. This will be the first-ever matchup between the two clubs. You can catch the action live on AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 1, 2021
- Moose Rally Falls Short - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Defeat Amerks, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Stars, Barracuda Postponement Relocated to San Jose on April 14 - Texas Stars
- Morin Assigned to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Amerks Comeback Falls Just Short in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Insider: A Goal-Scoring Juggernaut - Chicago Wolves
- AHL Announces Changes to Barracuda's Schedule - San Jose Barracuda
- Rich Clune Named Toronto Marlies Captain - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Welcome Fans Back to PPL Center at 15% Capacity - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- TSN1200 to Provide Broadcast Coverage of All Belleville Senators Home Games - Belleville Senators
- Roadrunners Reading Day Tuesday with Bookmans - Tucson Roadrunners
- San Diego Gulls Defenseman Jamie Drysdale Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - San Diego Gulls
- Logan Thompson Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month - Henderson Silver Knights
- Pitlick Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Chicago Wolves
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 4 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pitlick, Drysdale, Thompson Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for February - AHL
- Canadiens Agree to Terms on Three-Year Entry-Level Contract with Defenseman Gianni Fairbrother - Laval Rocket
- Logan Shaw Named 4th Captain in Franchise History - Belleville Senators
- Max Willman Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lehigh Valley's Max Willman Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Laval Rocket Release Forward Kevin Lynch - Laval Rocket
- Belleville Senators Sign Goaltender Tye Austin to An Amateur Tryout - Belleville Senators
- Barracuda End Reign 3-1 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Belleville Senators Stories
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Moose, April 12th
- Belleville Senators Add Curtis Douglas on An AHL Contract
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Moose, April 10th
- Belleville Senators Add Curtis Douglas on An Amateur Tryout Agreement
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Moose, April 8th