Crunch Defeat Amerks, 4-3
SYRACUSE, N.Y. --- The Syracuse Crunch snapped a five-game skid with a 4-3 win over the Rochester Americans tonight at the Upstate Medical University Arena tonight.
After giving up the first goal, the Crunch rattled of three consecutive markers by Peter Abbandonato, Devante Stephens and Otto Somppi. Rochester came back to tie the game, but John Ludvig netted the game-winner with his first professional goal to secure the victory. The Crunch are now 2-4-1-0 on the season and 1-1-1-0 in the 12-game season series with the Amerks.
Goaltender Spencer Martin turned aside 31-of-34 shots between the pipes for the Crunch. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen stopped 21-of-25 in net for the Amerks. Rochester went 2-for-6 on the power play, while Syracuse was 0-for-2.
The Amerks opened scoring 7:08 into the game. Martin made the initial stop, but the puck slid behind him for Ryan Scarfo to poke in during a battle in front of the cage.
The Crunch knotted the score late in the first period. Luukkonen made the save on Gabe Fortier's redirection but left the rebound loose for Peter Abbandonato to backhand in.
Syracuse potted two more early in the second period to build a two-goal lead. At 2:05, Stephens tipped in Boris Katchouk's left side shot as he cut down the slot for his first AHL goal. Four minutes later, Otto Somppi skated the puck into the zone and sent home a wrister from the left circle.
Rochester stole one back halfway through the middle frame when Michael Mersch tipped Jean-Sebastien Dea's left point shot while on the power play.
The Amerks tied the game with another power-play goal at 6:35 of the third period. After some quick passing, Andrew Oglevie fired a one-timer in from the right circle.
Syracuse went back on top when Ludvig netted the game-winner with 5:31 remaining in the game with a wrister from the slot.
The Crunch travel to face the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Wednesday at 5 p.m.
For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: The Crunch have allowed the first goal in six consecutive games...Nikita Pavlychev made his AHL debut with the Crunch tonight.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 1, 2021
- Moose Rally Falls Short - Manitoba Moose
- Crunch Defeat Amerks, 4-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Stars, Barracuda Postponement Relocated to San Jose on April 14 - Texas Stars
- Morin Assigned to Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Amerks Comeback Falls Just Short in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Insider: A Goal-Scoring Juggernaut - Chicago Wolves
- AHL Announces Changes to Barracuda's Schedule - San Jose Barracuda
- Rich Clune Named Toronto Marlies Captain - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Welcome Fans Back to PPL Center at 15% Capacity - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- TSN1200 to Provide Broadcast Coverage of All Belleville Senators Home Games - Belleville Senators
- Roadrunners Reading Day Tuesday with Bookmans - Tucson Roadrunners
- San Diego Gulls Defenseman Jamie Drysdale Named CCM/AHL Rookie of the Month - San Diego Gulls
- Logan Thompson Named CCM/AHL Goaltender of the Month - Henderson Silver Knights
- Pitlick Named CCM/AHL Player of the Month - Chicago Wolves
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 4 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Pitlick, Drysdale, Thompson Named CCM/AHL Award Winners for February - AHL
- Canadiens Agree to Terms on Three-Year Entry-Level Contract with Defenseman Gianni Fairbrother - Laval Rocket
- Logan Shaw Named 4th Captain in Franchise History - Belleville Senators
- Max Willman Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Lehigh Valley's Max Willman Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Laval Rocket Release Forward Kevin Lynch - Laval Rocket
- Belleville Senators Sign Goaltender Tye Austin to An Amateur Tryout - Belleville Senators
- Barracuda End Reign 3-1 - San Jose Barracuda
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Reassign Nikita Pavlychev to Orlando Solar Bears
- Crunch Edge Amerks, 4-3, in Overtime
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Daniel Walcott from Syracuse Crunch to Taxi Squad
- Florida Panthers Reassign Defenseman Vladislav Kolyachonok to Syracuse Crunch
- Crunch Fall to Amerks, 5-3