Resorters Go Down Swinging
TRAVERSE CITY, MI - The Traverse City Pit Spitters once again enjoyed an outstanding pitching performance as they defeated the Great Lakes Resorters 5-2 in front of another sellout crowd Friday night at Turtle Creek Stadium.
Five Traverse City pitchers combined for 12 strikeouts in the Spitters sixth-straight win. University of Illinois transfer and new team strikeout leader with 17, Andrew Hoffman, punched out six Great Lakes hitters through four innings of shutout baseball.
Traverse City jumped all over Great Lakes starter, Derek Yoo, piling on three runs in the top of the first inning, featuring an RBI-double from Crews Taylor, to take the early 3-0 advantage. The Pit Spitters added to their lead in the third frame as center fielder, Evan Maday, roped an RBI-single - extending his hitting streak to six games - before crossing the plate on a sacrifice fly to make it a 5-0 game. Resorters outfielder and former Northwoods League Player of the Night, Kyle Riesselmann, opened the fifth with a triple before scoring on a sacrifice hit from Roman Kuntz to cut into the Spitters lead 5-1. Great Lakes loaded the bases in the seventh inning with just one out but were only able to notch one lone run as Spitters setup man, Evan Hiatt, struck out Christian Garcia before inducing a pop out to tight rope out of trouble and send the Spitters to their 11th win on the campaign.
Traverse City relief arm and team-leader in wins, Pat Hohlfeld (3-0), tossed two innings of one-run baseball in his third win on the season. Great Lakes starter, Derek Yoo (0-2), surrendered five runs - three earned - on eight hits and only one strikeout in his second loss on the campaign. Traverse City improves to 11-2 on the year while the Resorters fall to 2-11.
The Traverse City Pit Spitters return to Turtle Creek Stadium to host the Great Lakes Resorters Saturday night at 7:05PM. Pregame coverage with Nate Wangler begins at 7:00 PM on the Northwoods League Baseball Network. Tickets are available for any Pit Spitters/Resorters contest at pitspitters.com or by calling the front office at (231) - 943 - 0100.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from July 31, 2020
- Rox Beat Stingers, Win Third Consecutive Game - St. Cloud Rox
- Larks Stomp Moose, Move into Tie for 1st Place - Bismarck Larks
- Stingers Drop Opener of Road Trip at St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- Rafters Take Friday Matchup with Green Bay, 6-1 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rockford Rivets Pause Season - Rockford Rivets
- Bucks Prance Past MoonDogs in First Night of Two-Game Series - Mankato MoonDogs
- Bombers Take Two More from Daddies, Run Win Streak to 4 - Battle Creek Bombers
- Resorters Go Down Swinging - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Strong Start from Kyle Gendron Leads Kenosha to 6-0 Win - Kenosha Kingfish
- Rafters Wrap up Two-Game Series in Green Bay - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Woodchucks Game Cancelled Tonight - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Booyah Look to Sweep Wisconsin Rapids - Green Bay Booyah
- Former Eau Claire Express Catcher Daulton Varsho Debuts with the Diamondbacks - Northwoods
- Rox Project S.A.V.E. Foundation Awards $10,000 in Student Scholarships - St. Cloud Rox
- Jimmie Allen/Chase Bryant Show Postponed Until 2021 - La Crosse Loggers
- Loggers Can't Find Timely Hit in 5-1 Loss to Dock Spiders - La Crosse Loggers
- Four and Lookin' for More, Spiders Win Again - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
- Rox Sweep Honkers as Pitching Staff Continues to Shine - St. Cloud Rox
- Booyah Beat Rafters at Home, 4-3 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Honkers Downed by Tough Rox Pitching - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.