Redbirds End Road Trip with 10-2 Win
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Memphis Redbirds (5-7) scored in five runs in the second inning and four in the eighth, backing a quality start from Jake Woodford, to cap off their seven-game road trip with a 10-2 win over the Round Rock Express (Astros).
Memphis had four hits and two walks in a five-run second chasing Round Rock starter Forrest Whitley, the No. 7 prospect in all of baseball, after just 1.1 innings pitched. John Nogowski started the inning with a double, Max Schrock walked, and Andrew Knizner drove them both in with a double. Following a walk from Ramon Urias, Edmundo Sosa and Tommy Edman hit back-to-back doubles to cap off the scoring in the frame.
Nogowski reached safely in all five of his plate appearances, going 3-for-3 with two walks and Edman drove in a season-high four runs, extending his hitting streak to a team-high seven games, and collected his sixth multi-hit performance in 10 starts.
Round Rock (7-5) struck first in the contest with a two-out solo home run from Jack Mayfield in the opening inning, but Woodford battled back, retiring seven of the next eight batters faced and picking off the lone baserunner that reached during that stretch. The 22-year-old delivered his first quality start of the season, pitching 6.1 innings and allowing two runs on five hits.
Following Woodford's departure, the trio of Jesus Cruz, Hunter Cervenka and Chasen Shreve combined to not allow a hit in 2.2 innings of bullpen work, while striking out five and issuing two walks.
Redbird bats came alive again in the eighth, with Urias and Rangel Ravelo launching solo shots and Edman slugging a two-run homer for his first of the year as the Redbirds reached double-digit runs for the first time this season.
Seven Redbirds collected hits and reached safely in the contest, with four batters getting at least two hits.
Memphis returns home for seven-straight contests starting with three games against the San Antonio Missions tomorrow at 6:35 p.m.
Upcoming Games of Note at AutoZone Park
Wednesday, April 17 at 6:35: Woof Wednesday presented by Invisible Fence Brand of Memphis, with dogs able to come to the stadium along with their parents
Thursday, April 18 at 7:05: Throwback Thursday presented by Polk's Meat Products, featuring the Memphis Chicks and throwback concession pricing of $2 beers and $1 Polk's hot dogs
Friday, April 19 at 7:05: Silky O'Sullivan's Irish Heritage Night with free green Redbirds hat to first 2,000 fans, All-You-Can-Eat Night specialty ticket option, featuring a two-hour all-you-can-eat crawfish buffet, purchased at www.memphisredbirds.com/allyoucaneat
Saturday, April 20 at 6:35: Terminix Saturday Fireworks Show after the game
Sunday, April 21 at 2:05: Postgame on-field candy drop from a helicopter, Easter Brunch and Catch on the Field specialty ticket available at www.memphisredbirds.com/easter, Prairie Farms Ice Cream Sunday (free ice cream for kids upon entering), pregame autographs presented by Allegiant Air.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 15, 2019
- New Orleans Tops Omaha 4-3 in Front of 8,019 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Putting the Hurt on the Baseball - San Antonio Missions
- Game Suspended Due to Curfew - Reno Aces
- Monday's Chihuahuas Game Suspended in 11th Inning - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Milone Dominates, Rainiers Trounce Isotopes in Homestand Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Homestand Highlights (April 16-22) - Memphis Redbirds
- Isotopes Get Shut out 10-0 in Series Finale - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Giambrone, Happ Homer in I-Cubs' Loss to Dodgers - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers Bats Break Out in 10-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds End Road Trip with 10-2 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Forces Series Split with 10-2 Win over Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- Missions Topped by Sounds in Series Finale - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Beat Omaha to Finish Trip - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds' Offense Stays Hot, Holds off Missions - Nashville Sounds
- Gallen Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Payton, Gallen Win Season's First Weekly Awards - PCL
- Ephesus Named Title Partner of Triple-A National Championship Game - PCL
- Monday's Salt Lake Bees Game Postponed - Salt Lake Bees
- Today's Game Postponed Due to Rain - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Take on Oakland Affiliate in Jam-Packed Homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- OKC Dodgers and LifeShare of Oklahoma Partner to Encourage Organ Donation - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (3-8) at San Antonio Missions (7-4) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (4-7) at Round Rock Express (7-4) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 15, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Snapping out of a Slump - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Redbirds Add Six Specialty Tickets with Cardinals Items to Promo Schedule
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (10-9) at Omaha Storm Chasers (9-10)
- Redbirds Start Road Swing with 7-5 Win
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (9-9) at Omaha Storm Chasers (9-9)
- Redbirds Split Series with Round Rock