Missions Topped by Sounds in Series Finale
SAN ANTONIO - The San Antonio Missions were plagued by the long ball Monday as they dropped their series finale 10-5 to the Nashville Sounds. The two teams split the four-game series.
Nashville's Jett Bandy, Hunter Cole, Matt Davidson, and Willie Calhoun all went deep for the Sounds while Lucas Erceg was the lone home run hitter for the Missions.
The offenses woke up early as nine of the 15 total runs were scored in the first three innings. San Antonio's Keston Hiura tripled off the left field fence to plate the first run of the game and then came on to score on a Tyrone Taylor base hit. Taylor went 4-for-5 on the day with four singles.
Nashville responded in the top of the second on Bandy's two-run blast to tie the game and took the lead in the third with a trio of runs off San Antonio starter Bubba Derby. The Missions were able to pull a pair of runs back in the bottom of the third when Erceg hit a two-run wall-scraper.
The Sounds added a run in the eighth on Davidson's solo home run off Miguel Sanchez and three in the ninth on Calhoun's three-run shot on Jon Olczak.
San Antonio threatened with two base runners in the sixth, seventh, and eighth innings but were unable to light up the scoreboard.
The Missions head to Memphis for a three-game series with the Redbirds beginning Tuesday night at AutoZone Park. Right-hander Zack Brown (0-0, 3.00) is scheduled to start for the Missions against right-hander Genesis Cabrera (0-0, 13.50) for the Sounds. First pitch is slated for 6:35 p.m.
* With the loss the Missions dropped to 7-5 on the season.
* Tyler Saladino drove in a run in the fifth inning and now has an RBI streak of five games, which is the longest such streak for the Missions this season.
* The six runs allowed by Bubba Derby were the most allowed by a Missions pitcher this season
* Bubba Derby hit three Sounds hitters, which was the most hit batters the Missions' pitching staff has had in a game this season.
* Lucas Erceg reached base three more times today. During the seven-game homestand he reached base in 14 of his 24 plate appearances.
2019 is the 118th season of baseball in San Antonio and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers. Single game tickets are on sale now at the Wolff Stadium Box Office or online at samissions.com. Season seat memberships are available now by calling 210-675-PARK (7275).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 15, 2019
- New Orleans Tops Omaha 4-3 in Front of 8,019 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Putting the Hurt on the Baseball - San Antonio Missions
- Game Suspended Due to Curfew - Reno Aces
- Monday's Chihuahuas Game Suspended in 11th Inning - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Milone Dominates, Rainiers Trounce Isotopes in Homestand Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Homestand Highlights (April 16-22) - Memphis Redbirds
- Isotopes Get Shut out 10-0 in Series Finale - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Giambrone, Happ Homer in I-Cubs' Loss to Dodgers - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers Bats Break Out in 10-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds End Road Trip with 10-2 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Forces Series Split with 10-2 Win over Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- Missions Topped by Sounds in Series Finale - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Beat Omaha to Finish Trip - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds' Offense Stays Hot, Holds off Missions - Nashville Sounds
- Gallen Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Payton, Gallen Win Season's First Weekly Awards - PCL
- Ephesus Named Title Partner of Triple-A National Championship Game - PCL
- Monday's Salt Lake Bees Game Postponed - Salt Lake Bees
- Today's Game Postponed Due to Rain - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Take on Oakland Affiliate in Jam-Packed Homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- OKC Dodgers and LifeShare of Oklahoma Partner to Encourage Organ Donation - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (3-8) at San Antonio Missions (7-4) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (4-7) at Round Rock Express (7-4) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 15, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Snapping out of a Slump - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Burnes, Pen Keep Missions Hot on the Mound
- Missions Begin Five-Game Homestand Wednesday
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Nashville Sounds
- Troy Stokes Jr. to be Presented with Rawlings Gold Glove Award During April 25 Pregame Ceremony
- Jankins Leads Missions Staff in Shutout Effort