New Orleans Tops Omaha 4-3 in Front of 8,019
Omaha catcher Andrew Susac and left fielder Jorge Bonifacio both blasted home runs, yet the Storm Chasers were unable to erase an early deficit as the New Orleans Baby Cakes earned a series split with a 4-3 victory in front of a season-high 8,019 fans on Monday afternoon at Werner Park.
New Orleans LF Gabriel Guerrero opened the scoring in the first frame with an RBI double off the center field wall. Baby Cakes 2B Yadiel Rivera added a run-scoring single to right in fifth, while SS Deven Marrero and 1B Matt Snyder one inning later each drove in a run with a triple and double, respectively, to increase the advantage to four. Susac slammed his two-run shot in the bottom of the sixth before Bonifacio's blast in the seventh, however the Storm Chasers were unable to complete their comeback effort.
Rivera (2-5, R, RBI) and Guerrero (2-4, 2B, RBI) each collected two knocks for New Orleans in the victory. Omaha SS Jecksson Flores (2-5, 2 2B), meanwhile, was the only batter from his side to tally a multi-hit game with his pair of doubles. Storm Chasers 3B Kelvin Gutierrez clubbed a third-inning single, meaning he has reached base in all 11 games played while posting a knock in all but one of those matchups.
Baby Cakes reliever Jose Quijada (1.1 IP, H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, K) earned the win in support of starter Elieser Hernandez (4.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K), who fell one out shy of qualifying for the victory. R.J. Alvarez (1.1 IP, 3 K) notched his first save of the year by striking out three of the four batters he faced, while Omaha southpaw Jonathan Dziedzic (5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K) suffered the defeat.
The Storm Chasers begin a seven-game road trip with a three-game series in Oklahoma City starting on Tuesday night. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm CT. Omaha is slated to send RHP Arnaldo Hernandez (0-1, 4.50), while the Dodgers are expected to give the nod to RHP Brock Stewart (0-0, 3.86).
Following that road trip, the Storm Chasers return to Werner Park to start a five-game homestand with the Memphis Redbirds on Wednesday, April 24. First pitch for that night's series opener is set for 6:35pm CT.
Tickets are available for that game and all remaining 2019 Storm Chasers home contests, and may be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com/tickets, or through the Werner Park Ticket Office during open hours from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday either in-person or by calling (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 15, 2019
- New Orleans Tops Omaha 4-3 in Front of 8,019 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Putting the Hurt on the Baseball - San Antonio Missions
- Game Suspended Due to Curfew - Reno Aces
- Monday's Chihuahuas Game Suspended in 11th Inning - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Milone Dominates, Rainiers Trounce Isotopes in Homestand Finale - Tacoma Rainiers
- Homestand Highlights (April 16-22) - Memphis Redbirds
- Isotopes Get Shut out 10-0 in Series Finale - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Giambrone, Happ Homer in I-Cubs' Loss to Dodgers - Iowa Cubs
- Dodgers Bats Break Out in 10-5 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds End Road Trip with 10-2 Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Forces Series Split with 10-2 Win over Round Rock - Round Rock Express
- Missions Topped by Sounds in Series Finale - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Beat Omaha to Finish Trip - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds' Offense Stays Hot, Holds off Missions - Nashville Sounds
- Gallen Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Payton, Gallen Win Season's First Weekly Awards - PCL
- Ephesus Named Title Partner of Triple-A National Championship Game - PCL
- Monday's Salt Lake Bees Game Postponed - Salt Lake Bees
- Today's Game Postponed Due to Rain - Sacramento River Cats
- River Cats Take on Oakland Affiliate in Jam-Packed Homestand - Sacramento River Cats
- OKC Dodgers and LifeShare of Oklahoma Partner to Encourage Organ Donation - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (3-8) at San Antonio Missions (7-4) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (4-7) at Round Rock Express (7-4) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Nashville Sounds - San Antonio Missions
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 15, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Snapping out of a Slump - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- 3 Chasers Players Named to USA Baseball's Premier12 Roster
- 13 Omaha Alums Chasing World Series Ring
- Mejia, Machado Earn Omaha Player & Pitcher of the Year Honors
- "50 Summers" Selected for 14th Annual Baseball Film Festival at National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- Chasers, USL Omaha Announce Addition of Ryan Querry as Chief Revenue Officer