Quiala stifles Chihuahuas for Motherâ??s Day victory
West Sacramento, CA. - The Sacramento River Cats (18-19) pitching staff shut down a potent El Paso (25-12) offense and River Cats hitters hit four home runs to take game two of their four-game series 6-1.
Right-hander Yoanys Quiala turned in his best outing since joining the River Cats, holding the Chihuahuas to just one run on four hits while striking out six across 5.2 innings. The bullpen closed out the win, with Williams Jerez, Dillon McNamara, and Jandel Gustave combining to toss 3.1 shutout innings, striking out five and allowing just two baserunners.
Sacramento relied on the long ball once again on Sunday to "manufacture" runs; five of Sacramento's six runs came as the result of a home run. Austin Slater launched his sixth in the sixth inning to break a 1-1 tie, and then Anthony Garcia hit a 439-foot blast to center field the give the River Cats the lead. Catcher Ronnie Freeman would later hit his second of the year, and Garcia his second of the game and fourth overall.
Lefty Andrew Suarez (2-2, 5.82) will take the ball for the River Cats on tomorrow night while El Paso will send with right-hander Cal Quantril (3-1, 4.68) to the mound. First pitch is set for 6:35 p.m. (PT). Catch all of the action live online at rivercats.com, on the MiLB First Pitch app, or on Money 105.5 FM.
- The River Cats have now homered in eight straight games, their longest streak of the season. The longest streak in franchise history is 15 in a row, which was set back in 2004.
- Sunday was just the third time that the Chihuahuas have been held to one run or fewer this season. They lead the Pacific Coast League in runs scored, averaging 7.2 runs per game.
The Sacramento River Cats are the Triple-A affiliate of the three-time World Champion San Francisco Giants. The team plays at Raley Field in West Sacramento, consistently voted one of the top ballparks in America. Season Tickets, Mini-Plans, and Flex Plans can be purchased for the River Cats' 20th season by calling the River Cats Ticket Hotline at (916) 371-HITS (4487). The only place to guarantee official River Cats tickets is at www.rivercats.com. For information on other events at Raley Field, visit www.raleyfield.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 12, 2019
- Mother's Day Spoiled by Salt Lake Homers - Reno Aces
- Payton's Grand Slam Not Enough to Lift Aviators Past Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Quiala stifles Chihuahuas for Motherâ??s Day victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizz Shutout 'Topes on Motherâ??s Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- O'Neill Homers Again in 7-2 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Tops El Paso, 6-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Blanked by Grizzlies 3-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Club Three Home Runs, Score Double-Digits in Victory at Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Drop Third Straight on Mother's Day - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Can't Find Big Hit in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Emerge Victorious in Fifth Consecutive Game - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Get "Passed" Missions - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Overcome Bullpen Woes to Win in 10 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- I-Cubs Fall in Sunday Matinee - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (12-23) vs. Memphis Redbirds (19-17) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (19-17) vs Nashville Sounds (12-23) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Isotopes inch past Grizzlies 5-3 despite Gushue going 3-for-3 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Stay Hot on the Road - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Hold on to Knock off Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoffman in Control Again as Isotopes Defeat Grizzlies 5-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Yastrzemski's big night not enough to slow El Paso - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- River Cats to Host Annual Preseason Party this Sunday
- River Cats Renew Partnership with FanCompass, Seek to Enhance Fan Engagement
- River Cats to Host Job Fairs January 25 and February 8
- Dave Brundage Returns as River Cats Manager to Defend Title in 2020
- USA Softball Team to Visit Sutter Health Park in Tune-Up for Olympics