'Cakes Get "Passed" Missions
NEW ORLEANS - A tenth inning passed ball allowed the New Orleans Baby Cakes to snap a three-game losing streak Sunday afternoon as they shaded the Missions, 10-9.
Deven Marrero scampered home from third base when Jay Jackson's pitch eluded catcher David Freitas with two out in the inning.
San Antonio rallied from an 8-3 deficit to grab a short-lived lead thanks to a six-run eighth inning. Jacob Nottingham's pinch hit RBI-double tied the game. Corey Ray grounded a single to left to bring home Nottingham with the go-ahead run, but New Orleans immediately answered.
Former Brewer Yadiel Rivera greeted reliever Donnie Hart with a leadoff homer in the bottom of the frame to even the score at nine apiece.
Mauricio Dubon clubbed two of San Antonio's three homers on the afternoon. It marked his first career mutli-homer game.
Corey Ray continued his rise from a sluggish April. The outfielder led off the contest with a homerun to right as he matched a career-high by homering for the third straight game. Ray also added a double along with his eighth inning single for his first three-hit performance of the season.
After starting the year with four hits in his first 35 at-bats, Ray has raised his batting average to .211 while going 6-for-14 with seven RBI's in his last three games.
Zack Brown suffered thru his worst career outing. San Antonio's starting pitcher failed to make it out of the fourth inning as he turned in his shortest outing of the season.
Brown surrendered a career-high eight runs while matching his career and season high for hits allowed with ten. He gave up two homeruns for only the second time as a professional, as his ERA ballooned to 5.36.
The right-hander issued a trio of free passes, bringing his season total to 21 in just 42 innings of work.
San Antonio fell 2 1/2 games back of first place Round Rock, which won its fifth straight on Sunday.
David Freitas extended his hitting streak to nine games, which is the longest posted by a Mission hitter this season.
NEXT: RH Chase Anderson (MLB rehab) vs. RH Zac Gallen (5-0, 1.14) 6:30 PM
KONO 860 AM
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 12, 2019
- Mother's Day Spoiled by Salt Lake Homers - Reno Aces
- Payton's Grand Slam Not Enough to Lift Aviators Past Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Quiala stifles Chihuahuas for Motherâ??s Day victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizz Shutout 'Topes on Motherâ??s Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- O'Neill Homers Again in 7-2 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Tops El Paso, 6-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Blanked by Grizzlies 3-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Club Three Home Runs, Score Double-Digits in Victory at Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Drop Third Straight on Mother's Day - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Can't Find Big Hit in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Emerge Victorious in Fifth Consecutive Game - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Get "Passed" Missions - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Overcome Bullpen Woes to Win in 10 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- I-Cubs Fall in Sunday Matinee - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (12-23) vs. Memphis Redbirds (19-17) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (19-17) vs Nashville Sounds (12-23) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Isotopes inch past Grizzlies 5-3 despite Gushue going 3-for-3 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Stay Hot on the Road - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Hold on to Knock off Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoffman in Control Again as Isotopes Defeat Grizzlies 5-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Yastrzemski's big night not enough to slow El Paso - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Rosters Announced for McCombs Ford West's High School Baseball Seniors Celebration at the Wolff
- Wolff Stadium to Host McCombs Ford West's HS Baseball Seniors Celebration
- San Antonio to Host 2020 Texas Collegiate League Team
- San Antonio Missions to Take Part in MiLB's CommUnity First Campaign
- Missions to Re-Air 2019 Home Opener as Part of #MiLBAtHomeOpener Initiative