Express Emerge Victorious in Fifth Consecutive Game
ROUND ROCK, Texas- The Round Rock Express (23-13) extended their season-high five game win streak on Sunday afternoon with a 4-2 win over the Oklahoma City Dodgers (11-24) at Dell Diamond. Express DH Yordan Alvarez fueled the victory with his league-leading 15th longball of the season.
Express RHP Akeem Bostick (3-1,6.31) worked his best outing this season, earning the win after punching out four batters while allowing only two Dodgers hits in a 5.1 inning start. Round Rock RHP Dean Deetz (2-0, 8.53) and LHP Reymin Guduan (0-0, 3.38) each collected holds.
To open Sunday's Mother's Day contest, 2B Alex De Goti and LF Kyle Tucker smoked a pair of base hits to set up scoring for Express cleanup hitter, Alvarez. Two pitches in, the DH sent a no-douber 420 foot over the Dell Diamond fences to drive home three runs and give the E-Train a 3-0.
A pitcher's duel ensued after the opening home run, as Bostick and Santana each held their respective opponents without a hit or run until the sixth inning. The top of the Dodgers order, 1B Connor Joe, 3B Matt Beaty and RF Kyle Garlick each worked walks to load the bases and eventually score a run when LF Edwin Rios was hit by a Deetz pitch.
The Express answered back in the home half of the inning with Jack Mayfield and Taylor Jones singles. Mayfield eventually advanced to third when 3B Nick Tanielu grounded into a double play and hustled home following a Josh Sborz wild pitch for a valuable insurance run.
Hoping to spark a comeback, Dodgers C Josh Thole sent a solo home run into right field to cut the Express lead in half. With two outs in the ninth inning, two Oklahoma City batters reached base in hopes of forcing extra innings, but E-Train RHP Brendan McCurry (1-1, 3.54) shut down the Dodgers for his fourth save of the year to secure a 4-2 victory.
The Express aim for a series win on Monday night in game three of four against the Dodgers. Oklahoma City RHP Brock Stewart (0-3, 6.08) is scheduled to start against a Round Rock pitcher to be announced. First pitch at Dell Diamond is slated for 7:05 p.m.
For more information on the Express, visit RRExpress.com or call (512) 255-2255. Keep up with the Express on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, and join the conversation during our historic 20th season using #20STROng.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 12, 2019
- Mother's Day Spoiled by Salt Lake Homers - Reno Aces
- Payton's Grand Slam Not Enough to Lift Aviators Past Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Quiala stifles Chihuahuas for Motherâ??s Day victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizz Shutout 'Topes on Motherâ??s Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- O'Neill Homers Again in 7-2 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Tops El Paso, 6-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Blanked by Grizzlies 3-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Club Three Home Runs, Score Double-Digits in Victory at Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Drop Third Straight on Mother's Day - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Can't Find Big Hit in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Emerge Victorious in Fifth Consecutive Game - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Get "Passed" Missions - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Overcome Bullpen Woes to Win in 10 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- I-Cubs Fall in Sunday Matinee - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (12-23) vs. Memphis Redbirds (19-17) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (19-17) vs Nashville Sounds (12-23) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Isotopes inch past Grizzlies 5-3 despite Gushue going 3-for-3 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Stay Hot on the Road - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Hold on to Knock off Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoffman in Control Again as Isotopes Defeat Grizzlies 5-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Yastrzemski's big night not enough to slow El Paso - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Inaugural Tailgates & Tunes Summer Concert Series Announced
- Round Rock Express to Host Fan Batting Practice Experiences
- Dell Diamond to Host Donation Drive Benefiting the Salvation Army
- Cat Osterman to Coach Round Rock Express Softball Camp
- Express Camps Start June 1 at Dell Diamond