Isotopes inch past Grizzlies 5-3 despite Gushue going 3-for-3
Fresno, California (Saturday, May 11) - The Fresno Grizzlies (18-18) dropped their second straight game, losing to the Albuquerque Isotopes (20-17) 5-3 from Chukchansi Park. Taylor Gushue led the Grizzlies offense, reaching base four times while homering in the second inning. He has recorded a hit in 13 of his last 14 contests. Jacob Wilson also stayed hot, notching a pair of singles and one RBI. He has a current team-high nine game hit streak.
Albuquerque's Roberto Ramos powered a three-run clout in the third inning, his seventh of the year. His big fly turned into the game-winner after the Isotopes tallied two insurance runs in the eighth. Sam Hilliard's RBI triple and Elliot Soto's pinch-hit single pushed the lead too far for Fresno to come back from.
Jeff Hoffman (3-2) earned the victory after five-plus frames of two-run ball. He tied a season-high with 10 strikeouts. James Pazos received the save after punching out a pair in the ninth. Austin Voth (3-3) suffered a hard-luck loss after allowing three runs over five innings. He fanned seven in the defeat. Both staffs combined to strike out 25 batters.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- C Taylor Gushue (3-3, HR, 2 RBI, R, HBP)
- 2B Jacob Wilson (2-4, RBI)
- RHP Tanner Rainey (1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K)
Top Performers: Albuquerque Isotopes (Colorado Rockies)
- 1B Roberto Ramos (1-5, HR, 3 RBI, R)
- 3B Josh Fuentes (3-5, 2B, R)
- RF Sam Hilliard (2-4, 3B, RBI, R)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Sunday May 12 Albuquerque Isotopes (Home) RHP Kyle McGowin (Fresno) vs. RHP Chi Chi Gonzalez (Albuquerque) 1:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / KAIL-13
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Jacob Wilson owns the Grizzlies' current team-high hit streak at nine games. In that span, he is 17-for-37 with eight extra-base hits, 11 RBI, seven runs and seven walks. He leads the team with 12 homers.
The first "Fresno Famous" race took place after the third inning on Saturday night, featuring large-headed characters in the spirit of the Washington Nationals Racing Presidents. Heidi Watney, host of "Quick Pitch" on MLB Network and a KMPH Fox 26 alum was victorious in the first running, outlasting fellow Fresnans William Saroyan and "Brook and/or Robin" Lopez, a twin-brother composite of the two former Stanford and current NBA centers.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 12, 2019
- Mother's Day Spoiled by Salt Lake Homers - Reno Aces
- Payton's Grand Slam Not Enough to Lift Aviators Past Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Quiala stifles Chihuahuas for Motherâ??s Day victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizz Shutout 'Topes on Motherâ??s Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- O'Neill Homers Again in 7-2 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Tops El Paso, 6-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Blanked by Grizzlies 3-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Club Three Home Runs, Score Double-Digits in Victory at Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Drop Third Straight on Mother's Day - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Can't Find Big Hit in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Emerge Victorious in Fifth Consecutive Game - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Get "Passed" Missions - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Overcome Bullpen Woes to Win in 10 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- I-Cubs Fall in Sunday Matinee - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (12-23) vs. Memphis Redbirds (19-17) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (19-17) vs Nashville Sounds (12-23) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Isotopes inch past Grizzlies 5-3 despite Gushue going 3-for-3 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Stay Hot on the Road - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Hold on to Knock off Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoffman in Control Again as Isotopes Defeat Grizzlies 5-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Yastrzemski's big night not enough to slow El Paso - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.