Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes
San Antonio Missions (21-15) at New Orleans Baby Cakes (18-18)
Game #37/Away Game #17
Sunday, May 12, 1:00 p.m.
The Shrine on Airline
MiLB.tv / KONO 860 AM
RHP Zack Brown (1-3, 3.99) vs. RHP Dustin Beggs (1-1, 4-44)
Cat Calls: Today's starting pitching matchup features a pair of former Kentucky Wildcats. San Antonio's Zack Brown and New Orleans' Dustin Beggs were teammates at the University of Kentucky from 2015-16. Beggs transferred to Kentucky in 2015 after two seasons at Georgia Perimeter College. The Wildcats went 64-47 in the two seasons Brown and Beggs were teammates. Brown was drafted in the fifth round of the 2016 MLB Draft by Milwaukee and Beggs went in the 16th round of the 2016 draft to Miami.
High Water Mark: At 21-15 the Missions are six games above .500, which matches a season-high. They were also six games above .500 when they were 14-8 and 15-9.
Divisional Delight: Through 36 games this season the Missions have played American Southern Division foes 19 times and are 13-6 in those games, which is the best mark of the four teams within the division. Round Rock is in first place in the division but is 11-7 against divisional opponents.
Walk it Like I Talk it: Keston Hiura has been more patient at the plate since the calendar flipped to May. In 24 games in April he drew just four walks. In just 11 games in May he has already drawn nine. His on-base percentage was .351 in April and is .523 in May. Hiura has also cut down on his strikeouts this month as his strikeout percentage was 34.1% in April and is down to 20.6% in May.
Yea I Like it Back to Back: Corey Ray has hit home runs in back-to-back games for the first time this season and eighth time in his career. In 2018 Ray homered in back-to-back games six times including a career-long three-game home run streak from May 15-17, 2018 with Double-A Biloxi.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 12, 2019
- Mother's Day Spoiled by Salt Lake Homers - Reno Aces
- Payton's Grand Slam Not Enough to Lift Aviators Past Rainiers - Las Vegas Aviators
- Quiala stifles Chihuahuas for Motherâ??s Day victory - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizz Shutout 'Topes on Motherâ??s Day - Fresno Grizzlies
- O'Neill Homers Again in 7-2 Redbirds Win - Memphis Redbirds
- Sacramento Tops El Paso, 6-1 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Isotopes Blanked by Grizzlies 3-0 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Rainiers Club Three Home Runs, Score Double-Digits in Victory at Las Vegas - Tacoma Rainiers
- Sounds Drop Third Straight on Mother's Day - Nashville Sounds
- Dodgers Can't Find Big Hit in Round Rock - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Emerge Victorious in Fifth Consecutive Game - Round Rock Express
- 'Cakes Get "Passed" Missions - San Antonio Missions
- 'Cakes Overcome Bullpen Woes to Win in 10 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- I-Cubs Fall in Sunday Matinee - Iowa Cubs
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (12-23) vs. Memphis Redbirds (19-17) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (19-17) vs Nashville Sounds (12-23) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at New Orleans Baby Cakes - San Antonio Missions
- Isotopes inch past Grizzlies 5-3 despite Gushue going 3-for-3 - Fresno Grizzlies
- Chihuahuas Stay Hot on the Road - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Hold on to Knock off Reno - Salt Lake Bees
- Hoffman in Control Again as Isotopes Defeat Grizzlies 5-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Yastrzemski's big night not enough to slow El Paso - Sacramento River Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- Preliminary Promotional Schedule Unveiled for Missions' 2020 Season
- Missions and IHeartMedia Announce 93.3 the Bull as New Flagship Station
- Unveiling a Bygone Era of Missions History
- Declaring a National Puffy Taco Day
- Missions to Transform into Puffy Tacos for Three Games in May