LANSING, Mich. - Another day, and another win for the Great Lakes Loons. This team has now won 20 of their last 24 ballgames after an 11-8 victory over the Lansing Lugnuts on Tuesday. The Loons mashed their way to a sixth straight victory with four home runs thwarting off numerous Lansing comeback attempts.
Great Lakes (27-15) scored in seven of nine innings and their performance was headlined by Niko Hulsizer. The 22-year-old outfielder entered the day leading the Midwest League in SLG and OPS and now moves into the lead for home runs hitting two to deep center field on Tuesday - his ninth and tenth of the year. Romer Cuadrado also played a big part in the 11-run outburst going 2-for-3 with two walks, a double, three RBIs, and his first home run of the season.
Early on, the Loons looked like they were bound for a blowout victory, but Lansing had other ideas. Loons starter Jose Chacin allowed just one hit in his first four innings and then came a bit unraveled. The Lugs scored six runs in the fifth inning and we had ourselves a ballgame.
Hulsizer's home runs in the sixth and eighth innings made things a little more manageable for Great Lakes, but Lansing was quick to respond with a pair of runs in the eighth themselves. With the score 9-8 going into the ninth frame, Cuadrado's long ball gave the Loons some breathing room.
Nathan Witt finished off the Lugnuts in the eighth inning and came back out for the ninth. Witt (S, 3) was pitching just three miles away from where he played his college ball at Michigan State University and while allowing two hits to Lansing in the ninth, kept them off the board to preserve the Loons win.
Drew Finley got the win for Great Lakes throwing one 1/3 scoreless innings of middle relief, while Lugnuts starter Troy Miller took the loss after ceding four earned runs in one inning.
With the Loons off to a 6-1 start to their nine-game, eight-day road trip, game three of four against Lansing is Wednesday with first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m. EDT.
May 24: Feel Good Friday Kickoff; postgame Koozie Giveaway & concert with Jack Droppers & the Best Intentions
May 25: 3 Millionth Fan Celebration with $5,000 grand prize; postgame Fireworks Loontacular
May 26: Lou E's Kids Club Takeover
May 27: Military Appreciation Day feat. the first game-worn jersey auction of the season
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Bounce Goes 'Caps Way in Walk-Off - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lofstrom, Marinan Lead Dragons to 7-3 Win and Doubleheader Split - Dayton Dragons
- Liberatore K's Eight in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss to Whitecaps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Pitching Dazzles as Hot Homestand Continues - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Take Game One of Doubleheader 12-8 Over Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Loons Flex Muscles to Stave off Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Salazar Swings Bandits to Fourth Straight Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels and Bees Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Snappers Can't Crack Clinton and Fall 5-0 - Beloit Snappers
- Near No-Hitter Ends with Shutout Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Power Trip - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 21 vs. South Bend (Game 42) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add Salute to Service Promotion for May 30 - Peoria Chiefs
- The Ivy at Berlin Place Plaza Now Open - South Bend Cubs
- Kernels Beat Bees 6-0 in Series Opener - Burlington Bees
- Whitecaps Lose Lead, Game - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Albertos Debuts, But Cubs Fall to TinCaps 9-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Clinton Pitching Stymies Beloit in double-header - Beloit Snappers
- Ninth-Inning Rally Lifts Hot Rods to 5-4 Victory on Monday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Clinton Sweeps Doubleheader to Climb Over .500 - Clinton LumberKings
- Cardenas Muscles Captains to 3-2 Win - Lake County Captains
- Cougars Allow Five in Seventh in Loss to Bandits - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.