Salazar Swings Bandits to Fourth Straight Win
Geneva, IL - Cesar Salazar went 3-3 with two runs batted in and the pitching staff worked out of multiple jams to propel the Quad Cities River Bandits to a 4-1 win over the Kane County Cougars on Tuesday afternoon. The victory was the fourth in a row for the River Bandits and assured the team of a winning record on their current 12-game road trip with two games remaining.
Quad Cities (28-13) scored a pair of first inning runs with a light rain falling and never looked back. Austin Dennis and Ramiro Rodriguez opened the game with consecutive singles and were joined on base by Jeremy Pena who walked to load the bases with no outs. Back-to-back sacrifice flies from Marty Costes and Salazar put the Bandits in front by a 2-0 score.
Kane County (24-21) tallied their only run of the day in the third against starting pitcher Brett Daniels. After the right-hander retired the first eight hitters he faced, Tra Holmes laid down a bunt single on the third base line to reach base. Eduardo Diaz followed with a line drive double off of the left field wall that scored Holmes from first and cut the lead to 2-1. Daniels ended up going 6.0 innings, allowing just one more hit and striking out five to earn his first win.
The Bandits were able to push the lead to three with single runs in the fourth and eighth innings. Salazar doubled in the fourth and came around to score on a single from Jonathan Lacroix for a 3-1 lead. In the eighth, it was Jeremy Pena who doubled and then scored on Salazar's base hit.
Austin Hansen stretched his scoreless innings streak to 23.0 innings by tossing the final 3.0 frames out of the bullpen. Kane County put a runner in scoring position in each of the three innings, but could never produce another run. Ross Adolph made a diving catch to close the seventh and Hansen stranded two men on base in each of the final two frames to collect his first save.
Lacroix and Adolph each joined Salazar with multiple hits in the contest. Costes did not register a hit, but drove in his sixth run of the series.
The River Bandits and Cougars will continue the series with another matinee on Wednesday for game three. First pitch is set for 11:00 a.m. The River Bandits will start RHP Jose Rivera (0-1, 135.00) while Kane County will counter with RHP Justin Lewis (2-3, 2.60).
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Bounce Goes 'Caps Way in Walk-Off - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lofstrom, Marinan Lead Dragons to 7-3 Win and Doubleheader Split - Dayton Dragons
- Liberatore K's Eight in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss to Whitecaps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Pitching Dazzles as Hot Homestand Continues - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Take Game One of Doubleheader 12-8 Over Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Loons Flex Muscles to Stave off Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Salazar Swings Bandits to Fourth Straight Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels and Bees Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Snappers Can't Crack Clinton and Fall 5-0 - Beloit Snappers
- Near No-Hitter Ends with Shutout Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Power Trip - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 21 vs. South Bend (Game 42) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add Salute to Service Promotion for May 30 - Peoria Chiefs
- The Ivy at Berlin Place Plaza Now Open - South Bend Cubs
- Kernels Beat Bees 6-0 in Series Opener - Burlington Bees
- Whitecaps Lose Lead, Game - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Albertos Debuts, But Cubs Fall to TinCaps 9-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Clinton Pitching Stymies Beloit in double-header - Beloit Snappers
- Ninth-Inning Rally Lifts Hot Rods to 5-4 Victory on Monday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Clinton Sweeps Doubleheader to Climb Over .500 - Clinton LumberKings
- Cardenas Muscles Captains to 3-2 Win - Lake County Captains
- Cougars Allow Five in Seventh in Loss to Bandits - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.