Albertos Debuts, But Cubs Fall to TinCaps 9-1
Fort Wayne, IN: The South Bend Cubs got a taste of their own medicine from the Fort Wayne TinCaps in the bottom of the 1st inning in Monday's series opener at Parkview Field. After plating four runs on the Dayton Dragons to start the game yesterday, the Cubs surrendered four in the 1st to the TinCaps tonight in a 9-1 final.
Fort Wayne hit the ball hard off of starter Derek Casey early. Scoring six runs in the first three innings, the TinCaps had more than enough to earn the game one win.
South Bend's lone run came in the top of the 2nd inning after Jonathan Sierra singled and reached second base on an error by center fielder Jawuan Harris. Tyler Durna got him over to third and Levi Jordan punched another single into right field to score him.
On the day, Sierra led the South Bend lineup with two hits, including a double in the 9th inning.
Out of the bullpen, Jack Patterson responded from a tough outing at Bowling Green last week and fired three innings of one run baseball along with four strikeouts. The lefty has now given up a run or less in five of his six appearances.
The keynote appearance out of the bullpen for South Bend was the return of the Chicago Cubs number 23 overall prospect Jose Albertos. Albertos, who pitched in South Bend last season and faced adversity with his command, showed tonight that he could respond in a positive way.
The leaner and stronger looking 2019 version of Albertos worked a 1-2-3 7th inning for his first appearance of 2019. He struck out the first man he faced with a strikeout looking on Agustin Ruiz.
In the 8th, Albertos came back out and struggled mildly with command by walking three batters. Even with the multiple walks, Albertos' misses were not wide my much. He looked not only more confident, but also more comfortable. He finished by giving up two runs in two innings. The final pitch he threw was converted into a 4-6-3 double play.
The Cubs will look to tie the series tomorrow night in game two against the TinCaps. South Bend, who has won four consecutive series, will send right-hander Cam Sanders to the mound tomorrow at 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Bounce Goes 'Caps Way in Walk-Off - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lofstrom, Marinan Lead Dragons to 7-3 Win and Doubleheader Split - Dayton Dragons
- Liberatore K's Eight in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss to Whitecaps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Pitching Dazzles as Hot Homestand Continues - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Take Game One of Doubleheader 12-8 Over Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Loons Flex Muscles to Stave off Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Salazar Swings Bandits to Fourth Straight Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels and Bees Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Snappers Can't Crack Clinton and Fall 5-0 - Beloit Snappers
- Near No-Hitter Ends with Shutout Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Power Trip - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 21 vs. South Bend (Game 42) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add Salute to Service Promotion for May 30 - Peoria Chiefs
- The Ivy at Berlin Place Plaza Now Open - South Bend Cubs
- Kernels Beat Bees 6-0 in Series Opener - Burlington Bees
- Whitecaps Lose Lead, Game - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Albertos Debuts, But Cubs Fall to TinCaps 9-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Clinton Pitching Stymies Beloit in double-header - Beloit Snappers
- Ninth-Inning Rally Lifts Hot Rods to 5-4 Victory on Monday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Clinton Sweeps Doubleheader to Climb Over .500 - Clinton LumberKings
- Cardenas Muscles Captains to 3-2 Win - Lake County Captains
- Cougars Allow Five in Seventh in Loss to Bandits - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- Cubs Snatch Series from Snappers with 6-4 Finale Win
- Santa Stu to help South Bend Cubs celebrate 'Christmas in July' during upcoming homestand
- Cubs and Snappers Split Sunday Doubleheader 4-3, 5-1
- Timber Rattlers Sweep Cubs in Rain-Shortened 2-1 Finale
- Roederer's Two Homers Not Enough as Wisconsin Tops South Bend 5-4