Cougars Allow Five in Seventh in Loss to Bandits
Geneva, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (24-20) blew a three-run lead in a 7-5 loss to the Quad Cities River Bandits (27-13) on Monday night at Northwestern Medicine Field. The loss pushes the Cougars five games back of Quad Cities for first place in the Western Division.
The Cougars offense clicked in the second inning. Back-to-back walks started the inning. A wild pitch moved runners to second and third before Eduardo Diaz grounded out to drive in a run and make it 1-0 Cougars. Joe Gillette followed with a two-out, two-run blast to left field.
Quad Cities slashed into the Cougar lead in the top of the third on a Marty Costes two-run single. However, the Cougars neutralized each of those runs with single tallies in the fourth and fifth. Tra Holmes reached on Bandits' third baseman Trey Dawson's error in the fourth, allowing Eduardo Diaz to score. In the fifth, Blaze Alexander opened up a three-run lead again with an RBI single.
The decisive frame began with a pair of Cougar errors. Buddy Kennedy's throwing error started the seventh inning. The next at-bat, Cougar second baseman Eddie Hernandez botched a ball to put two runners aboard with no one out. Michael Wielansky's single with one out loaded the bases. Austin Dennis made it a 5-3 game with an RBI single. A batter later, Jeremy Pena reached on catcher interference to make it a one-run game. Marty Costes delivered the knock-out blow, a bases clearing triple.
Kenny Hernandez (4-1) was tagged with the loss. He was charged with all five runs in the seventh, but none of them were earned. Wesley Rodriguez took his second blown save for allowing the Costes triple. Cody Deason (3-1) earned the win, fanning nine of the 12 batters he retired in four scoreless innings.
The Cougars and River Bandits play matinee baseball Tuesday at noon. For tickets call 630-232-8811 or order online at kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Bounce Goes 'Caps Way in Walk-Off - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lofstrom, Marinan Lead Dragons to 7-3 Win and Doubleheader Split - Dayton Dragons
- Liberatore K's Eight in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss to Whitecaps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Pitching Dazzles as Hot Homestand Continues - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Take Game One of Doubleheader 12-8 Over Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Loons Flex Muscles to Stave off Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Salazar Swings Bandits to Fourth Straight Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels and Bees Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Snappers Can't Crack Clinton and Fall 5-0 - Beloit Snappers
- Near No-Hitter Ends with Shutout Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Power Trip - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 21 vs. South Bend (Game 42) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add Salute to Service Promotion for May 30 - Peoria Chiefs
- The Ivy at Berlin Place Plaza Now Open - South Bend Cubs
- Kernels Beat Bees 6-0 in Series Opener - Burlington Bees
- Whitecaps Lose Lead, Game - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Albertos Debuts, But Cubs Fall to TinCaps 9-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Clinton Pitching Stymies Beloit in double-header - Beloit Snappers
- Ninth-Inning Rally Lifts Hot Rods to 5-4 Victory on Monday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Clinton Sweeps Doubleheader to Climb Over .500 - Clinton LumberKings
- Cardenas Muscles Captains to 3-2 Win - Lake County Captains
- Cougars Allow Five in Seventh in Loss to Bandits - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season
- Cougars Foundation Recognized by Kane County Forest Preserve
- Kane County Cougars Baseball Foundation, Inc. Releases 2019 Annual Report