Cougars Drop Third Straight
Geneva, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (24-21) were unable to figure out Quad Cities River Bandits (28-13) pitchers Brett Daniels and Austin Hansen in a 4-1 loss on Tuesday afternoon at Northwestern Medicine Field. The Cougars' third straight loss ties the club's season high.
Cougar starting pitcher Matt Tabor had only allowed one run in his previous three starts, but allowed two runs in the first inning against the River Bandits. Back-to-back singles began the top of the first, then Tabor walked Jeremy Pena to load the bases. Consecutive sacrifice flys by Marty Costes and Cesar Salazar pushed the Bandits in front, 2-0.
The Cougars lone run off Quad Cities pitching crossed in the bottom of the third. With two outs, Tra Holmes singled. The next batter, Eduardo Diaz doubled to left field, scoring Holmes from first and making it a one-run game.
In the fourth, Tabor found trouble for a second time. A one-out double by Salazar led to a run when Jonathan Lacroix singled to right, extending Quad Cities' lead to 3-1. Tabor's (0-1) day was done after the fourth with three runs charged to his total on four hits with four strikeouts and a walk.
Andy Toelken kept the Cougars in the game on the mound, tossing 2.1 innings of shutout relief. Ethan Larrison chipped in 2.2 innings out of the pen. His only hiccup was a Cesar Salazar RBI single in the eighth inning.
Daniels (1-3) didn't waver after allowing the Cougars' only run in the third. He finished after six innings with one run on three hits to earn his first win. Austin Hansen (1) earned a three-inning save that included five strikeouts.
The Cougars and River Bandits play more day baseball on Wednesday with an 11:00 AM first pitch. For tickets call 630-232-8811 or order online at kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Bounce Goes 'Caps Way in Walk-Off - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lofstrom, Marinan Lead Dragons to 7-3 Win and Doubleheader Split - Dayton Dragons
- Liberatore K's Eight in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss to Whitecaps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Pitching Dazzles as Hot Homestand Continues - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Take Game One of Doubleheader 12-8 Over Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Loons Flex Muscles to Stave off Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Salazar Swings Bandits to Fourth Straight Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels and Bees Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Snappers Can't Crack Clinton and Fall 5-0 - Beloit Snappers
- Near No-Hitter Ends with Shutout Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Power Trip - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 21 vs. South Bend (Game 42) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add Salute to Service Promotion for May 30 - Peoria Chiefs
- The Ivy at Berlin Place Plaza Now Open - South Bend Cubs
- Kernels Beat Bees 6-0 in Series Opener - Burlington Bees
- Whitecaps Lose Lead, Game - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Albertos Debuts, But Cubs Fall to TinCaps 9-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Clinton Pitching Stymies Beloit in double-header - Beloit Snappers
- Ninth-Inning Rally Lifts Hot Rods to 5-4 Victory on Monday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Clinton Sweeps Doubleheader to Climb Over .500 - Clinton LumberKings
- Cardenas Muscles Captains to 3-2 Win - Lake County Captains
- Cougars Allow Five in Seventh in Loss to Bandits - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season
- Cougars Foundation Recognized by Kane County Forest Preserve
- Kane County Cougars Baseball Foundation, Inc. Releases 2019 Annual Report