Snappers Can't Crack Clinton and Fall 5-0
BELOIT, WI - On a school day filled with kids from all over the area, the Snappers fell this afternoon to the LumberKings by a final score of 5-0. Clinton got a big five-run inning in the fourth, which ended up being the deciding factor in the ballgame.
Fighting back from a five-run deficit, Beloit had a golden opportunity to score, and almost capitalized on it if it was not for an incredible play by left fielder, Thomas Jones.
With runners on second and third with two-outs, Snappers third basemen Cobie Vance launched a ball to left field that would have for sure plated two runs, if it was not for a fantastic play by Jones.
Ranging back, Jones caught a ball over his shoulder to not only preserve the no-hitter at the time, but also the shutout for Clinton.
For the Snappers on the mound, Bryce Nightengale got the start and concluded his night after 4 innings, five runs, four hits, and five strikeouts. The bullpen would take over from there and turned in a lights out performance holding Clinton scoreless in the final five innings.
Brandon Withers was first out of the bullpen and threw two scoreless frames, while striking out 1 and giving up just 2 hits. Charlie Cerny would follow and throw two scoreless innings of his own. Cerny finished with two strikeouts, giving up just 1 hit and no runs.
Lastly, position player Cooper Goldby got his second appearance of the season and threw a scoreless inning in the ninth. Goldby ended his day on the mound with one inning, while retiring the LumberKings down in order.
Beloit will fall to 15-28 with the loss and Clinton will improve to 23-21 with victory today at Pohlman Field.
The Beloit Snappers will be back in action tomorrow when the Snappers take on Clinton once again at Pohlman Field. Beloit will finish up this nine-game homestand with two more games against Clinton before heading on the road for a week.
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics since 2013. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362-2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Bounce Goes 'Caps Way in Walk-Off - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lofstrom, Marinan Lead Dragons to 7-3 Win and Doubleheader Split - Dayton Dragons
- Liberatore K's Eight in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss to Whitecaps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Pitching Dazzles as Hot Homestand Continues - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Take Game One of Doubleheader 12-8 Over Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Loons Flex Muscles to Stave off Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Salazar Swings Bandits to Fourth Straight Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels and Bees Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Snappers Can't Crack Clinton and Fall 5-0 - Beloit Snappers
- Near No-Hitter Ends with Shutout Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Power Trip - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 21 vs. South Bend (Game 42) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add Salute to Service Promotion for May 30 - Peoria Chiefs
- The Ivy at Berlin Place Plaza Now Open - South Bend Cubs
- Kernels Beat Bees 6-0 in Series Opener - Burlington Bees
- Whitecaps Lose Lead, Game - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Albertos Debuts, But Cubs Fall to TinCaps 9-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Clinton Pitching Stymies Beloit in double-header - Beloit Snappers
- Ninth-Inning Rally Lifts Hot Rods to 5-4 Victory on Monday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Clinton Sweeps Doubleheader to Climb Over .500 - Clinton LumberKings
- Cardenas Muscles Captains to 3-2 Win - Lake County Captains
- Cougars Allow Five in Seventh in Loss to Bandits - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.