Lofstrom, Marinan Lead Dragons to 7-3 Win and Doubleheader Split
Dayton, Ohio - Morgan Lofstrom hit a home run and drove in four runs to lead the Dayton Dragons to a 7-3 victory over the Lake County Captains and a split of a doubleheader on Tuesday night. The Dragons lost the first game 8-1.
In game two, Dragons starting pitcher James Marinan (2-5) tossed a seven-inning complete game to earn the victory. He allowed three runs (one earned) on four hits with three walks and two strikeouts. It was the first complete game by a Dayton pitcher in just over a year, since Tyler Mondile pitched a one-hit shutout in the second game of a doubleheader vs. Great Lakes on May 18, 2018.
The Dragons collected a season-high 13 hits in the second game. Lofstrom led the way, going 3 for 3 with a three-run home run and four runs batted in. His homer gave the Dragons a 3-2 lead in the second inning before the Dragons added four more runs in the third. Juan Martinez drove in the first run of the inning with a single, Lofstrom added an RBI hit, and Zeek White delivered a two-run single for his first hit with the Dragons.
Along with Lofstrom's three hits, Brian Rey had two hits including a double. Martinez and Jay Schuyler also had two hits for Dayton.
Lake County won the first game 8-1. The game began on April 14 and was suspended by rain in the second inning with no score. When the game resumed, Lake County immediately got their offense going, scoring two runs in the second inning, two more in the third, and three in the fourth to build a 7-1 lead. The Dragons only run of the game came in the third inning on a bases-loaded infield single by Mariel Bautista. Dayton finished the game with nine hits including two each by Miguel Hernandez and Juan Martinez.
Notes: Prior to Tuesday's doubleheader, the Dragons added infielder Dylan Harris and Moises Nova to the roster. Both players had been on the Billings roster. Relief pitcher Carlos Machorro was promoted to Daytona and outfielder/first baseman Shard Munroe was placed on the seven-day disabled list.
Up Next: The Dragons (15-30) host Lake County (26-18) in the fourth game of the series at Fifth Third Field on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. Lyon Richardson (0-4, 4.93) will start for the Dragons and be opposed by Lake County's Alex Royalty (0-2, 6.75). The series will conclude on Thursday.
On the Air: All Dragons games are broadcast on radio on Fox Sports 980 WONE AM. Games can be heard on smart phones, iPads, and other mobile devices via the free Dragons Mobile App, or on a computer at wone.com. Games are also available on HD Radio on 104.7 WTUI HD 2. All Saturday and Sunday home games are televised on Dayton's CW (channel 26; Spectrum cable channels 13 and 1013).
For Dragons 2019 ticket information, call (937) 228-2287.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from May 21, 2019
- Bounce Goes 'Caps Way in Walk-Off - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Lofstrom, Marinan Lead Dragons to 7-3 Win and Doubleheader Split - Dayton Dragons
- Liberatore K's Eight in 4-3 Walk-Off Loss to Whitecaps - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Pitching Dazzles as Hot Homestand Continues - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Take Game One of Doubleheader 12-8 Over Peoria - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Cougars Drop Third Straight - Kane County Cougars
- Loons Flex Muscles to Stave off Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- Salazar Swings Bandits to Fourth Straight Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels and Bees Postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Snappers Can't Crack Clinton and Fall 5-0 - Beloit Snappers
- Near No-Hitter Ends with Shutout Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Power Trip - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Game Notes: May 21 vs. South Bend (Game 42) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Notes for Tuesday - Dayton Dragons
- Chiefs Add Salute to Service Promotion for May 30 - Peoria Chiefs
- The Ivy at Berlin Place Plaza Now Open - South Bend Cubs
- Kernels Beat Bees 6-0 in Series Opener - Burlington Bees
- Whitecaps Lose Lead, Game - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Albertos Debuts, But Cubs Fall to TinCaps 9-1 - South Bend Cubs
- Stellar Clinton Pitching Stymies Beloit in double-header - Beloit Snappers
- Ninth-Inning Rally Lifts Hot Rods to 5-4 Victory on Monday - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Clinton Sweeps Doubleheader to Climb Over .500 - Clinton LumberKings
- Cardenas Muscles Captains to 3-2 Win - Lake County Captains
- Cougars Allow Five in Seventh in Loss to Bandits - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.