Peoria Prevails at Cedar Rapids
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - In the opening game of Byron Buxton's rehab assignment from the Minnesota Twins, the Cedar Rapids Kernels had a 5-0 lead wiped away in the ninth inning Sunday as the Peoria Chiefs rallied for a 9-5 win in front of 4,248 fans at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium.
Buxton, the 2013 Midwest League MVP and Prospect of the Year with the Kernels, batted 1-of-2 with a hustle double and a walk. He also scored a run in his first game played since landing on the injured list August 3 due to a shoulder injury.
The Kernels (33-29, 72-60) opened the scoring with the first five runs while building a 5-0 lead. An RBI groundout by Jared Akins plated Tyler Webb in bottom of the second. Matt Wallner added a two-run home run during the third, and Akins delivered a two-run double within the sixth.
Josh Winder and Dylan Thomas combined to pitch eight shutout innings for Cedar Rapids. Winder tossed five strikeouts over six scoreless frames within his team-high 11th quality start. Thomas kept the shutout intact in the seventh and eighth innings.
Peoria (20-42, 50-81) surged in front, 9-5, in the top of the ninth. Jonatan Machado's bases-loaded double drove in two runs to break up the shutout. Back-to-back hit batsmen allowed Josh Shaw to come home. Brendan Donovan followed with an RBI single, and Edwin Figuera tallied the game-tying run via wild pitch. Leandro Cedeno put Peoria ahead on a sacrifice fly. Insurance runs scored on Brandon Riley's two-run double and Shaw's RBI single.
Connor Coward (1-0) received credit for his first victory with the Chiefs, and Evan Sisk earned his fourth save. Austin Schulfer (7-6) was tagged for the loss and his first blown save. Peoria's comeback victory became the first Cedar Rapids loss this season when ahead at the end of the eighth.
Monday's contest between Cedar Rapids and Peoria will begin at 6:35 p.m., and the probable pitchers are Kernels southpaw Kody Funderburk (0-3, 5.26) and Chiefs right-hander Michael Brettell (5-9, 5.19). Chris Kleinhans-Schulz will have the call on 1450 KMRY AM and 93.1 KMRY FM and also online at www.kmryradio.com, www.kernels.com, and MiLB.TV.
This four-game series and seven-game homestand continues with the final Mark Down Monday of the regular season. Special deals include regular hot dogs for $1.50 apiece, and small popcorn, ice cream sandwiches, and chips are just $1.00 each.
Fans can purchase tickets for all 2019 Cedar Rapids Kernels home games including the playoff opener September 4 against the Quad Cities River Bandits by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Cougars Turn Tables on Bandits with 8-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Robinson Blasts Third Homer in Cougar Win - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Stun Kernels with Nine-Run Ninth - Peoria Chiefs
- Burlington Walks-Off with 3-2 Win on Soto Single - Burlington Bees
- Hot Streak Continues in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Edwards Homers Twice in Thumping of Wisconsin - Clinton LumberKings
- Peoria Prevails at Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Clinton Clubs Rattlers 12-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Nuts Nose out Loons, 3-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Break Tie in 8th, Edge Dragons 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Harris Homers, But Fort Wayne Falls Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Finfrock Finds Needed Outs in Ninth - Great Lakes Loons
- Delgado Carries Captains - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Byron Buxton joins Kernels on MLB rehab assignment - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 25 at West Michigan (Game 130) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 25 - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win 7th of Last 10 - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Continue Playoff Push with 2-1 Win over Bowling Green - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Lose, Race Tightens - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cedar Rapids Kernels Stories
- Kernels 2020 Season Canceled
- Nick Adenhart Scholarships Awarded to two Eastern Iowa High School Graduates
- Adenhart Scholarship Deadline Approaches
- Kernels Seeking Nominations for Third Annual Kid Heroes Recognition
- Veterans Memorial Stadium Closes for 4 Weeks