Edwards Homers Twice in Thumping of Wisconsin
CLINTON, IA - Evan Edwards homered twice and Jake Walters dealt in a 12-1 Clinton LumberKings thumping of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Sunday afternoon at NelsonCorp Field. Edwards drove in six runs for the LumberKings (38-24, 71-60) who shrank their magic number to clinch a playoff spot to six.
Wisconsin (35-27, 66-65) starter Adam Hill allowed the game's first run in the bottom of third inning. Bubba Hollins drew a one out walk and scored on a J.D. Osborne RBI single past second basemen Connor McVey.
Hill (6-9) was hung with the loss as he struggled with the walk over his 3.1 innings out. He allowed three runs, two earned, on two hits while walking five and striking out two.
In total, Clinton drew a season high 10 walks from Timber Rattlers pitching.
In the bottom of the fourth, the LumberKings put the game out of reach with a four-run rally. Hollins chased home the first two runs with a single behind the bag at third and was followed by a Peyton Burdick home run into the Lumber Lounge in right. The home run was his ninth of the year and was one of his three runs scored for the afternoon.
Walters (6-4) needed little run support over a masterful 7.2 inning performance. He allowed no runs on just four hits - all singles - while walking one and striking out seven.
In the bottom of the seventh, Clinton continued to grow their lead with the first of Edwards two home runs. The blast landed on top of the roof of the Lumber Lounge in right for the first of his career high six RBIs.
An inning later in the eighth, Edwards followed a Kameron Misner RBI single with a grand slam to right for his second home run of the game. The slam was the LumberKings second of the season and their first to come at home in 2019.
Wisconsin avoided the shutout loss with a run in the top of the ninth on a Je'Von Ward RBI double. Elkin Alcala then set down Brent Diaz with a flyout to center to end the game and match the LumberKings most lopsided win of the season.
The LumberKings will meet the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers for the third game of their four-game series Monday night. Clinton will throw righty Josh Roberson (2-4, 2.84) while Wisconsin will tap righty Max Lazar (7-2, 1.60). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. (CDT). Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas with the pregame show on 6:15 p.m. with the pregame show on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
Extend your weekend with a Monday night match-up with Wisconsin. Visit the United Way of Clinton County or Whittier Elementary PTA Night for special offer on tickets as part of United Way and Whittier Elementary PTA Night!
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Cougars Turn Tables on Bandits with 8-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Robinson Blasts Third Homer in Cougar Win - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Stun Kernels with Nine-Run Ninth - Peoria Chiefs
- Burlington Walks-Off with 3-2 Win on Soto Single - Burlington Bees
- Hot Streak Continues in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Edwards Homers Twice in Thumping of Wisconsin - Clinton LumberKings
- Peoria Prevails at Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Clinton Clubs Rattlers 12-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Nuts Nose out Loons, 3-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Break Tie in 8th, Edge Dragons 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Harris Homers, But Fort Wayne Falls Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Finfrock Finds Needed Outs in Ninth - Great Lakes Loons
- Delgado Carries Captains - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Byron Buxton joins Kernels on MLB rehab assignment - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 25 at West Michigan (Game 130) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 25 - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win 7th of Last 10 - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Continue Playoff Push with 2-1 Win over Bowling Green - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Lose, Race Tightens - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clinton LumberKings Stories
- Curbside Concessions Going into Extra Innings
- Last Call for Curbside Concessions at NelsonCorp Field
- Purina celebrates PetCare Pride Day by partnering with Clinton LumberKings and Clausen
- Stockwells to Perform on September 5th
- Paul Davis Scholarship Announced