'Caps Win 7th of Last 10
COMSTOCK PARK, MI - The West Michigan Whitecaps enjoyed an outstanding pitching performance in defeating the Fort Wayne TinCaps 3-0 in front of 9,355 fans Saturday night at Fifth Third Ballpark.
Whitecaps starter Wilkel Hernandez enjoyed one of his best starts of 2019 tossing six innings of one-hit shutout baseball with a pair of strikeouts in the shutout win. The attendance marked the second-largest crowd at Fifth Third Ballpark this season. It's the seventh win in West Michigan's last ten games.
The Whitecaps jumped out to an early lead as Danny Reyes roped a two-run double off the left-field wall to give West Michigan a 2-0 lead in the first. The "Caps extended their advantage in the fourth inning as Dayton Dugas smoked a triple before scoring on a wild pitch to increase West Michigan's lead to 3-0. The TinCaps managed only a pair of hits following the fourth inning as the Whitecaps cruised to a 3-0 shutout. At one point, "Caps pitchers retired 20 straight hitters -- their longest streak of the season.
Hernandez (9-7) tossed six innings allowing no runs on one hit in his ninth win on the year. Michael Bienlien went two scoreless frames in relief tallying four strikeouts before Angel Reyes came on to slam the door in his sixth save of the season. TinCaps starter Ryan Weathers (3-6) pitched four frames giving up three runs on four hits in his sixth loss on the campaign. The Whitecaps improve to 45-85 overall and 24-37 in the second half while the TinCaps fall to 58-71 overall and 25-36 in the second half. The Whitecaps notched their second-straight shutout in front of the second-largest crowd of 2019 with Wenceel Perez collecting a team-high three hits in the victory.
The Whitecaps continue their four-game series of the regular season in West Michigan against the Fort Wayne TinCaps on Sunday at 2:00 pm. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty and Nate Wangler begins on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 1:50 pm. Sandel De La Cruz makes the start for West Michigan against TinCaps pitcher Edwuin Bencomo. Tickets are available for any remaining Whitecaps 2019 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Cougars Turn Tables on Bandits with 8-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Robinson Blasts Third Homer in Cougar Win - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Stun Kernels with Nine-Run Ninth - Peoria Chiefs
- Burlington Walks-Off with 3-2 Win on Soto Single - Burlington Bees
- Hot Streak Continues in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Edwards Homers Twice in Thumping of Wisconsin - Clinton LumberKings
- Peoria Prevails at Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Clinton Clubs Rattlers 12-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Nuts Nose out Loons, 3-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Break Tie in 8th, Edge Dragons 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Harris Homers, But Fort Wayne Falls Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Finfrock Finds Needed Outs in Ninth - Great Lakes Loons
- Delgado Carries Captains - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Byron Buxton joins Kernels on MLB rehab assignment - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 25 at West Michigan (Game 130) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 25 - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win 7th of Last 10 - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Continue Playoff Push with 2-1 Win over Bowling Green - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Lose, Race Tightens - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.