Harris Homers, But Fort Wayne Falls Short
COMSTOCK PARK, Mich. - Despite a Jawuan Harris home run to lead the game off, the TinCaps lost to the West Michigan Whitecaps (Detroit Tigers affiliate), 4-2, at Fifth Third Ballpark on Sunday afternoon.
Fort Wayne (25-37, 58-72) jumped out to an early 1-0 lead when Harris smacked his seventh home run of the season. Harris has hits in each of his last six games, including five extra-base hits (three doubles, a triple, and now a home run).
The Whitecaps (24-38, 45-86) promptly tied the game via a Sam McMillan homer in the bottom of the first, and then nearly took the lead in each of the next three innings. Yet, Edwuin Bencomo stranded two runners on base in the second, third and fourth innings to keep the game tied. Bencomo finished his four-inning start with five strikeouts and just the one earned run allowed.
Fort Wayne regained the lead in the fifth on a Kelvin Alarcon two-out RBI single. It was Alarcon's first RBI since joining the TinCaps on August 11 (10-game span).
West Michigan took the lead for good in the bottom half of the fifth with three runs on four hits - Andre Lipcius provided the big blow of the frame with a go-ahead, two-run single into centerfield.
The TinCaps had chances to come back in the game late, but they finished the day 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position and seven left on base.
Monday, August 26 @ West Michigan (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Omar Cruz
- Whitecaps Probable Starter: RHP Robbie Welhaf
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Cougars Turn Tables on Bandits with 8-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Robinson Blasts Third Homer in Cougar Win - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Stun Kernels with Nine-Run Ninth - Peoria Chiefs
- Burlington Walks-Off with 3-2 Win on Soto Single - Burlington Bees
- Hot Streak Continues in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Edwards Homers Twice in Thumping of Wisconsin - Clinton LumberKings
- Peoria Prevails at Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Clinton Clubs Rattlers 12-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Nuts Nose out Loons, 3-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Break Tie in 8th, Edge Dragons 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Harris Homers, But Fort Wayne Falls Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Finfrock Finds Needed Outs in Ninth - Great Lakes Loons
- Delgado Carries Captains - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Byron Buxton joins Kernels on MLB rehab assignment - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 25 at West Michigan (Game 130) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 25 - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win 7th of Last 10 - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Continue Playoff Push with 2-1 Win over Bowling Green - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Lose, Race Tightens - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Weathers 1 of 23 Fort Wayne Alums in MLB Postseason
- TinCaps to Host a Second Movie Night (The Sandlot) Presented by Lancia Homes
- 260 to the Show Report: 46 Former Fort Wayne Players in Big Leagues in 2020
- Johnny TinCap Joins Fight against Breast Cancer, Teams with Rival
- Last Call: TinCaps Taking Final Orders for Meal Kits