Cougars Lose, Race Tightens
Davenport, Iowa - The Kane County Cougars (73-57, 38-23) dropped an 8-2 decision against the Quad Cities River Bandits (77-50, 34-27) on Saturday night at Modern Woodmen Park. The Cougars remain one game ahead of the Clinton LumberKings and three games in front of the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.
The Cougars were the first to score. In the third inning David Garza and Dominic Fletcher singled to set up Zack Shannon for a two-run double. The River Bandits retaliated with a two-run fourth inning with RBIs from Grae Kessinger and Alex Holderbach.
A detrimental fifth inning featured five runs from Quad Cities to put the game out of reach. RBI singles from Austin Dennis and Trey Dawson were followed by a two-run double by C.J. Stubbs. Cougars infielder Joey Rose came in to pitch and recorded the final two outs of the fifth.
The River Bandits got their final run on Austin Dennis' sacrifice fly in the bottom of the sixth. The second Cougar position player of the night, Keshawn Lynch, pitched a scoreless eight inning.
Andy Toelken (6-3) took the loss. He allowed all five fifth inning runs. He lasted 1.1 innings. Jonathan Bermudez (5-1) earned the win. He surrendered two runs in five innings with no walks and five strikeouts.
The Cougars and River Bandits play game two of the four-game series on Sunday night at 5:15. Follow the action live on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Cougars Turn Tables on Bandits with 8-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Robinson Blasts Third Homer in Cougar Win - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Stun Kernels with Nine-Run Ninth - Peoria Chiefs
- Burlington Walks-Off with 3-2 Win on Soto Single - Burlington Bees
- Hot Streak Continues in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Edwards Homers Twice in Thumping of Wisconsin - Clinton LumberKings
- Peoria Prevails at Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Clinton Clubs Rattlers 12-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Nuts Nose out Loons, 3-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Break Tie in 8th, Edge Dragons 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Harris Homers, But Fort Wayne Falls Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Finfrock Finds Needed Outs in Ninth - Great Lakes Loons
- Delgado Carries Captains - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Byron Buxton joins Kernels on MLB rehab assignment - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 25 at West Michigan (Game 130) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 25 - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win 7th of Last 10 - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Continue Playoff Push with 2-1 Win over Bowling Green - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Lose, Race Tightens - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.