Delgado Carries Captains
(Eastlake, OH) - Raynel Delgado's timely hitting helped the Lake County Captains (30-32, 70-61) snap a four-game losing streak on Sunday afternoon at Classic Park. Delgado delivered a game-tying a sacrifice fly and a go-ahead double to lift the Captains to a 3-2 win over the Dayton Dragons (27-35, 55-77).
Cameron Warren gave Dayton the lead in the second inning. Matt Lloyd led off the frame with a single and, two batters later, Warren connected with a two-run homer over the left-centerfield wall to give the Dragons a 2-0 advantage.
Daniel Schneemann got the Captains on the board in the third. The second baseman led off the frame by slicing a ball down the left field line that rang off the foul pole for a solo homer, trimming Dayton's lead to 2-1.
Delgado tied the score for the Captains the following frame. Jose Fermin and Jesse Berardi began the inning with back-to-back walks and a passed ball moved them up to second and third. Delgado then knocked in Fermin from third with a sacrifice fly to center, evening the score at 2-2.
The game remained tied until the eighth, when Delgado delivered again. Clark Scolamiero started the inning with an infield single to shortstop off of reliever Tyler Gibson. Fermin sacrifice bunted Scolamiero to second and Berardi grounded out to second, sending the runner to third. Delgado then ambushed the first pitch of his at-bat, rocketing a line drive into the right-centerfield. Scolamiero scored the go-ahead run to give the Captains a 3-2 lead and Delgado coasted into second with a double.
Brendan Meyer sealed the win for Lake County with a scoreless ninth and earned his first save of the year in the process. The right-hander hit Lloyd to begin the inning, but retired the next three men in order. After Jay Schuyler bunted Lloyd to second, Warren popped up in foul ground to first baseman Ulysses Cantu for out number two. Miguel Hernandez then popped into foul territory down the right field line and Schneemann ranged over from second to make the game-ending catch.
Kyle Marman earned the win in relief. Marman (5-4) pitched two scoreless and hitless innings with one strikeout and one walk.
Gibison (1-1) took the loss for Dayton. The right-hander pitched the eighth and allowed one run on two hits with no walks and no strikeouts.
Captains starter Eli Lingos and Dragons starter Lyon Richardson also pitched well, though neither factored in the decision. Lingos spun six innings and allowed just two runs on four hits. He struck out seven and walked one. Lingos also completed a baseball rarity in the fifth when he struck out four batters in one inning. The lefty fanned Miles Gordon and Mariel Bautista before getting Claudio Finol to strike out swinging, but a wild pitch on strike three put Finol on first. Lingos then struck out Morgan Lofstrom to end the inning.
Richardson also pitched six innings and gave up two runs, one earned, on two hits. The Dragons' starter struck out two and walked three.
The Captains and Dragons have split the first two games of their four-game series. Game three is scheduled for Monday night at 7:00 p.m. at Classic Park.
Individual game tickets for all Captains games are on sale at the Classic Park box office, online at captainsbaseball.com and by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467). Mini ticket plans for the 2019 season are still available for great prices complete with several exclusive benefits. Information can be found at the Captains website www.captainsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Cougars Turn Tables on Bandits with 8-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Robinson Blasts Third Homer in Cougar Win - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Stun Kernels with Nine-Run Ninth - Peoria Chiefs
- Burlington Walks-Off with 3-2 Win on Soto Single - Burlington Bees
- Hot Streak Continues in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Edwards Homers Twice in Thumping of Wisconsin - Clinton LumberKings
- Peoria Prevails at Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Clinton Clubs Rattlers 12-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Nuts Nose out Loons, 3-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Break Tie in 8th, Edge Dragons 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Harris Homers, But Fort Wayne Falls Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Finfrock Finds Needed Outs in Ninth - Great Lakes Loons
- Delgado Carries Captains - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Byron Buxton joins Kernels on MLB rehab assignment - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 25 at West Michigan (Game 130) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 25 - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win 7th of Last 10 - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Continue Playoff Push with 2-1 Win over Bowling Green - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Lose, Race Tightens - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lake County Captains Stories
- Official Statement from the Captains Regarding Sunday's Trunk Or Treat Event and COVID-19
- NCAA DIII College World Series Coming to Eastlake in 2024
- Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC Will Begin August 22
- Captains Postpone Movie Nights Powered by NOPEC
- Captains, City of Eastlake Cancel July 22 Concert