Cubs Continue Playoff Push with 2-1 Win over Bowling Green
Bowling Green, KY: The South Bend Cubs finished off their biggest win of 2019 so far by beating the Bowling Green Hot Rods at Bowling Green Ballpark by a final of 2-1. Saturday night was a nail-biter for all nine innings. With solid starting pitching on both sides, the top two teams right now in the Midwest League's Eastern Division battled in what could be a postseason preview.
Tonight's win means South Bend is just two games behind the Hot Rods for first place in the Eastern Division. Lansing also lost tonight, so the Cubs wild card lead is once again at four games. The playoff picture continues to look intriguing for South Bend as only nine game remain in the regular season.
Saturday's win was jump-started by another dominant outing from Cam Sanders. The right-hander tossed five innings of one run baseball and struck out seven batters. The former LSU Tiger pushed his ERA down to 2.91.
At the plate, the Cubs scored the first run of the four-game series when Nelson Velazquez grounded into a double play in the top of the 4th inning. Nelson Maldonado hustled around third base and scored. After Bowling Green tied it in the bottom half of the 4th, the game sat at 1-1 until the 9th.
Out of the bullpen, Eugenio Palma kept the Cubs in the game with three shutout innings. Palma earned the win because of Fidel Mejia's clutch RBI single in the top of the 9th to take the 2-1 lead.
Closer Brian Glowicki tossed a scoreless bottom of the 9th and needed only 10 pitches to send the Hot Rods down 1-2-3. His ERA drops to 1.50.
The Cubs will have the opportunity to continue their quest for first place in game two against the Hot Rods tomorrow afternoon. First pitch is set for 3:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from August 25, 2019
- Cougars Turn Tables on Bandits with 8-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Robinson Blasts Third Homer in Cougar Win - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Stun Kernels with Nine-Run Ninth - Peoria Chiefs
- Burlington Walks-Off with 3-2 Win on Soto Single - Burlington Bees
- Hot Streak Continues in 4-2 Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Edwards Homers Twice in Thumping of Wisconsin - Clinton LumberKings
- Peoria Prevails at Cedar Rapids - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Clinton Clubs Rattlers 12-1 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Nuts Nose out Loons, 3-2 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Captains Break Tie in 8th, Edge Dragons 3-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Harris Homers, But Fort Wayne Falls Short - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Finfrock Finds Needed Outs in Ninth - Great Lakes Loons
- Delgado Carries Captains - Lake County Captains
- Hot Rods and Cubs Postponed on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Byron Buxton joins Kernels on MLB rehab assignment - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Game Notes: August 25 at West Michigan (Game 130) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dayton Dragons GameDay Notes for Sunday, August 25 - Dayton Dragons
- 'Caps Win 7th of Last 10 - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Cubs Continue Playoff Push with 2-1 Win over Bowling Green - South Bend Cubs
- Cougars Lose, Race Tightens - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- South Bend Cubs Host VIP Football Watch Party October 10
- Video Board Message Donations Return for Breast Cancer Awareness MonthÃÂ
- Cubs Host Final Movie Night and Fireworks Show for Charity
- South Bend Cubs Partner with Rival in the Fight against Breast Cancer
- Watch the Cubs and White Sox at Four Winds Field September 25