OKC Bats Derail Express, 8-5
Round Rock, Texas - The Oklahoma City Dodgers scored in six of nine innings, piling up eight runs and 12 hits on the way to an 8-5 victory over the Round Rock Express Friday night at Dell Diamond.
The Dodgers (47-40) led from the second inning on and won for just the second time in their last seven meetings against the Express.
The Dodgers opened the scoring the second inning when a run scored on a double play. In the third, OKC rallied for three straight hits with two outs, capped with a two-run double by Kyle Farmer to make it 3-0.
The Express (44-47) answered with two runs in their next at-bat. A key error on a potential double play opened the door, and RBI singles by Willie Calhoun and Carlos Perez narrowed the gap to one run.
Travis Taijeron extended the lead to 4-2 when he connected on his eighth home run of the season in the fourth inning. His solo blast landed near the base of the scoreboard in left-center field along the concourse.
Another two-run, two-out double in the fifth inning gave the Dodgers their largest advantage of the night. Edwin Ríos shot a two-bagger into the gap in right-center field to extend OKC a 6-2 lead.
Round Rock responded with a deuce in the bottom of the inning. A RBI double by Calhoun plus a sacrifice fly by Perez pulled Round Rock back within two runs.
Angelo Mora socked his fourth home run of the season with an opposite field shot out to left field in the sixth to make it 7-4.
Calhoun picked up his third RBI on a fielder's choice in the seventh inning. The Express had the tying runs on base with two outs, but Dodgers reliever Ariel Hernandez got Christian Lopes to pop out and end the inning.
In the ninth inning, the Dodgers scored after having the bases empty with two outs for the second time in the game. After a walk by Alex Verdugo and Farmer's third double of the night, Ríos sent a dribbler up the third base line that kicked off the base for a RBI single, extending the lead to 8-5.
Ríos led the Dodgers with three RBI during his 2-for-4 night. Verdugo notched two singles with a walk and scored three times. Farmer became the second Dodger the in the last seven games with three doubles in one night, joining Taijeron, who did it July 4 at home against the Express.
Brian Schlitter retired the side in order on six pitches in the ninth inning to earn his 12th save.
OKC starting pitcher Tyler Pill (3-3) earned the win after allowing four runs (three earned) and six hits over five innings. He notched only one strikeout and walked two.
One week after throwing six scoreless innings in Oklahoma City, Round Rock starting pitcher Michael Roth was tagged for a season high-tying six runs across five innings. The lefty gave up eight hits, with one walk and two strikeouts.
The Dodgers will look for back-to-back wins for the first time in close to one month when they face the Express at 6:05 p.m. Saturday at Dell Diamond. Live radio coverage begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com, or through the free iHeartRadio mobile app.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 13, 2018
- OKC Bats Derail Express, 8-5 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Drop Game Two 8-5 to Dodgers - Round Rock Express
- Memphis Tops Omaha to Win Fifth Straight - Memphis Redbirds
- : Chihuahuas Game Versus Reno Aces Postponed - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Rodriguez's Late Homer Lifts 'Cakes Past Sox - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Splits Twin Bill with Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Split Doubleheader with I-Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Salt Lake Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Winning Streak Hits Five as Sounds Beat Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Offer "Pay-Your-Age" Tickets for Next Friday's Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Fresno Grizzlies Lower Food Prices - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sounds Begin Eight-Game Homestand Monday - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 13, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (57-34) at Omaha Storm Chasers (40-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (July 16-22) - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (43-45) at Iowa Cubs (31-58) - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats late comeback stopped short - Sacramento River Cats
- Three Homers Propel Bees to Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Rainiers Open Second Half With 4-3 Win Over Grizzlies - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma tops Fresno 4-3 Thursday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Reno Offense Shows off Power in Rain-Filled Series Opener - Reno Aces
- Reno Welcomes Chihuahuas back from Break with 8-2 Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.