Sounds Split Doubleheader with I-Cubs
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Nashville Sounds couldn't hold an early lead Friday night and ultimately lost 5-3 to the Iowa Cubs in Game 2 of a doubleheader at Principal Park. The Sounds had won the first game of the day-night twinbill 8-3 to move their win streak to five. That matched a season-high, and it's the second time this season their five-game win streak has been snapped by Iowa.
Franklin Barreto got the Sounds rolling in the first inning with a long two-run homer to left off Eddie Butler. It was Barreto's 10th home run of the year in 50 games for the Sounds.
The 2-0 lead held up until the bottom of the fourth inning. Daniel Mengden, making a second rehab start for the Sounds, retired the first two hitters in the frame before five consecutive I-Cubs hitters reached base. Jason Vosler tied it 2-2 with a two-run homer, and Trey Martin's RBI single gave Iowa a lead it never gave back. Mengden yielded four runs on five hits in four innings in the loss, and Carlos Ramirez gave up one run in the fifth.
The Sounds fought back in the sixth against Iowa's bullpen. Bruce Maxwell doubled and later scored on a sacrifice fly by Melvin Mercedes to cut the deficit to 5-3. Steve Lombardozzi, who has reached base safely in 17 games in a row, singled in the seventh, but Barreto and Anthony Garcia each popped out against Dakota Mekkes to end the game.
The five-game series continues Saturday night when Raul Alcantara (4-1, 4.35) opposes Jen-Ho Tseng (2-10, 7.14). First pitch is scheduled for 7:08 p.m.
The 2018 season is the Sounds' 41st in franchise history and fourth as the Oakland Athletics' top affiliate. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 13, 2018
- OKC Bats Derail Express, 8-5 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Drop Game Two 8-5 to Dodgers - Round Rock Express
- Memphis Tops Omaha to Win Fifth Straight - Memphis Redbirds
- : Chihuahuas Game Versus Reno Aces Postponed - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Rodriguez's Late Homer Lifts 'Cakes Past Sox - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Splits Twin Bill with Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Split Doubleheader with I-Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Salt Lake Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Winning Streak Hits Five as Sounds Beat Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Offer "Pay-Your-Age" Tickets for Next Friday's Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Fresno Grizzlies Lower Food Prices - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sounds Begin Eight-Game Homestand Monday - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 13, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (57-34) at Omaha Storm Chasers (40-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (July 16-22) - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (43-45) at Iowa Cubs (31-58) - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats late comeback stopped short - Sacramento River Cats
- Three Homers Propel Bees to Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Rainiers Open Second Half With 4-3 Win Over Grizzlies - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma tops Fresno 4-3 Thursday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Reno Offense Shows off Power in Rain-Filled Series Opener - Reno Aces
- Reno Welcomes Chihuahuas back from Break with 8-2 Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Texas Rangers and Nashville Sounds to Play Exhibition Game at First Tennessee Park
- Nashville Sounds' Group Outings for 2019 Season on Sale Now
- Sounds Announce 2019 Schedule
- Sounds Reveal New Logos, Marks and Uniforms
- Sounds' Community Relations Manager Destiny Whitmore Awarded Women in Baseball Leadership Event Scholarship