Rodriguez's Late Homer Lifts 'Cakes Past Sox
Jon Rodriguez's home run broke an eighth-inning tie as the New Orleans Baby Cakes rallied to defeat the Colorado Springs Sky Sox on Friday night, 4-3.
Back-to-back home runs by Brett Phillips and Orlando Arcia in the top of the third gave Colorado Springs a 2-0 advantage, but Isaac Galloway answered with his ninth home run of the year to lead off the bottom half of the frame, cutting the lead in half.
New Orleans starter Tyler Cloyd worked around a Dylan Moore leadoff triple in the fifth, but could not escape damage in the sixth after Arcia singled and Tyrone Taylor doubled to open the inning. Domingo Santana lifted a pop up to shallow right field and second baseman Eric Campbell made a running grab, but Arcia raced home to score ahead of Campbell's turn and throw to the plate.
Again, the Baby Cakes responded in their half of the inning, scoring twice without a hit to knot the score. Sky Sox reliever Nick Ramirez walked the bases loaded, and two runs scored on a fielder's choice grounder by Peter Mooney when second baseman Andres Blanco made an errant throw.
Rodriguez took Michael Brady (1-3) to the opposite field with one out in the bottom of the eighth to give New Orleans its first lead of the night, and Jose Quijada (2-0) struck out the side in the ninth to nail down the Baby Cakes' 22nd come-from-behind victory of the season, surpassing their total from all of 2017.
Cloyd turned in a quality start by scattering three runs and five hits in six innings with four strikeouts and no walks. Quijada and Odrisamer Despaigne combined to hold the Sky Sox hitless over the final three innings, and 'Cakes relievers have allowed two earned runs in their last 38 2/3 innings, good for a 0.47 ERA.
The teams continue the four-game set on Saturday. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 13, 2018
- OKC Bats Derail Express, 8-5 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Drop Game Two 8-5 to Dodgers - Round Rock Express
- Memphis Tops Omaha to Win Fifth Straight - Memphis Redbirds
- : Chihuahuas Game Versus Reno Aces Postponed - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Rodriguez's Late Homer Lifts 'Cakes Past Sox - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Splits Twin Bill with Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Split Doubleheader with I-Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Salt Lake Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Winning Streak Hits Five as Sounds Beat Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Offer "Pay-Your-Age" Tickets for Next Friday's Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Fresno Grizzlies Lower Food Prices - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sounds Begin Eight-Game Homestand Monday - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 13, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (57-34) at Omaha Storm Chasers (40-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (July 16-22) - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (43-45) at Iowa Cubs (31-58) - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats late comeback stopped short - Sacramento River Cats
- Three Homers Propel Bees to Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Rainiers Open Second Half With 4-3 Win Over Grizzlies - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma tops Fresno 4-3 Thursday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Reno Offense Shows off Power in Rain-Filled Series Opener - Reno Aces
- Reno Welcomes Chihuahuas back from Break with 8-2 Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.