Memphis Tops Omaha to Win Fifth Straight
OMAHA, Nebraska - The Memphis Redbirds (58-34) topped the Omaha Storm Chasers (Royals) 6-3, Friday night at Werner Park in Omaha, Neb. The Redbirds have now won five straight games, and have won a season-high eight straight games on the road.
The 'Birds pounded out 10 hits in the win. For the second consecutive night, Carson Kelly (2-for-3) and Adolis Garcia (2-for-4) both recorded multiple hits. Randy Arozarena joined the party in tonight's game, going 2-for-4, as well.
Memphis scored three runs in both the second and third innings to grab the win. The 'Birds started the second inning with three straight hits from Kelly, Garcia, and Alex Mejia. The first run crossed on a sacrifice fly from Max Schrock before Arozarena doubled in the next two runners.
In the third, Luke Voit and Kelly singled with one out before Garcia crushed his 12th home run of the season to left field to give Memphis a 6-0 lead. It was the second consecutive night Garcia had homered. Garcia now has multiple hits in four of his last six games, and is hitting .391 (9-for-23) with three home runs in that span. Since June 1, he is hitting a combined .292 (31-for-106) in 31 games.
Starter Kevin Herget threw six solid innings, allowing three earned runs on six hits, while walking one and striking out five batters to earn the win. Tommy Layne came in to relieve Herget, pitching one inning, allowing two hits and a walk, while striking out two. Conner Greene pitched 1.2 innings, allowing a hit and two walks before Edward Mujica came in to close out the game for his ninth save this season.
After two more games in Omaha, Memphis returns to AutoZone Park for seven games starting Monday. For more information on single-game tickets and ticket mini-memberships, visit www.memphisredbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 13, 2018
- OKC Bats Derail Express, 8-5 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Drop Game Two 8-5 to Dodgers - Round Rock Express
- Memphis Tops Omaha to Win Fifth Straight - Memphis Redbirds
- : Chihuahuas Game Versus Reno Aces Postponed - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Rodriguez's Late Homer Lifts 'Cakes Past Sox - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Splits Twin Bill with Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Split Doubleheader with I-Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Salt Lake Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Winning Streak Hits Five as Sounds Beat Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Offer "Pay-Your-Age" Tickets for Next Friday's Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Fresno Grizzlies Lower Food Prices - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sounds Begin Eight-Game Homestand Monday - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 13, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (57-34) at Omaha Storm Chasers (40-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (July 16-22) - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (43-45) at Iowa Cubs (31-58) - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats late comeback stopped short - Sacramento River Cats
- Three Homers Propel Bees to Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Rainiers Open Second Half With 4-3 Win Over Grizzlies - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma tops Fresno 4-3 Thursday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Reno Offense Shows off Power in Rain-Filled Series Opener - Reno Aces
- Reno Welcomes Chihuahuas back from Break with 8-2 Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Redbirds Announce 2019 Schedule
- Redbirds Manager Stubby Clapp Named Cardinals First Base Coach
- Redbirds Set to Embark on Sell901 Trophy Tour
- Triple-A National Champions: Memphis Wins First National Title
- Redbirds, Aldo's Pizza Pies Downtown Hosting Triple-A National Championship Game Watch Party Tomorrow Night