Iowa Splits Twin Bill with Nashville
DES MOINES, IA - The Iowa Cubs (32-59) took an 8-3 loss to the Nashville Sounds (44-46) in Game 1, but bounced back for a 5-3 victory in the nightcap, Friday at Principal Park.
Nashville battered Iowa for three first-inning runs in the first game off Casey Coleman and the bats stayed hot for the Sounds. Chesny Young and Ryan Court singles led to a run for Iowa in the bottom of the inning as the home team fought back.
The Sounds added a run in each of the third and fourth innings, but Iowa would keep it close with a two-run fifth. Steven Bruno launched his second home run of the season and Court batted in his second run of the game with a single. A three-run sixth for the Sounds was enough to do Iowa in.
Danny Coulombe (2-1) gave up two runs through 2.0 but got enough run support to earn the win. Coleman (1-1) took the loss.
In Game 2, a two-run blast from Franklin Barreto put Nashville ahead in the first but the I-Cubs were able to quiet the offense early. Court tabbed Iowa's only hit through three with a second-inning single, before Iowa got back in the game in a big way. Taylor Davis singled in the fourth with two down, setting up a Jason Vosler two-run homer to tie the game.
Iowa rallied with two outs in the fourth, scoring four on four hits to take a decisive lead. Both teams would add an additional run in the late frames but the I-Cubs held on. Alberto Baldonado (4-1) captured the win, rehabbing Daniel Mengden (1-1) took the loss and Dakota Mekkes earned his second Triple-A save. The victory snapped a 10-game home losing streak for the I-Cubs.
With a hit in both games, Vosler extended his hitting streak to 15 games. Court and Davis tallied Iowa's only multi-hit games of the day.
Game four of the set between Iowa and Nashville will be played at Principal Park tomorrow at 7:08. Promotions include an Iowa Oaks Replica Jersey giveaway and Pre-Game Catch on the Field. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 13, 2018
- OKC Bats Derail Express, 8-5 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Drop Game Two 8-5 to Dodgers - Round Rock Express
- Memphis Tops Omaha to Win Fifth Straight - Memphis Redbirds
- : Chihuahuas Game Versus Reno Aces Postponed - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Rodriguez's Late Homer Lifts 'Cakes Past Sox - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Splits Twin Bill with Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Split Doubleheader with I-Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Salt Lake Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Winning Streak Hits Five as Sounds Beat Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Offer "Pay-Your-Age" Tickets for Next Friday's Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Fresno Grizzlies Lower Food Prices - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sounds Begin Eight-Game Homestand Monday - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 13, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (57-34) at Omaha Storm Chasers (40-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (July 16-22) - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (43-45) at Iowa Cubs (31-58) - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats late comeback stopped short - Sacramento River Cats
- Three Homers Propel Bees to Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Rainiers Open Second Half With 4-3 Win Over Grizzlies - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma tops Fresno 4-3 Thursday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Reno Offense Shows off Power in Rain-Filled Series Opener - Reno Aces
- Reno Welcomes Chihuahuas back from Break with 8-2 Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.