Winning Streak Hits Five as Sounds Beat Cubs
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Nashville Sounds pushed their winning streak to five games with an 8-3 win over the Iowa Cubs in game one of a doubleheader Friday afternoon at Principal Park.
Ramon Laureano led the charge offensively with a 3-for-5 day at the plate as the Sounds collected six extra-base hits. Laureano sparked a rally immediately when he lined a base hit down the right field line to start the game. The base knock extended his hitting streak to 11 games.
Franklin Barreto walked to put a pair of runners on base for Anthony Garcia who hit a deep drive into right field. The ball was juggled and dropped by Iowa's Bijan Rademacher. The RBI double plated Laureano and an added miscue by the right fielder allowed Barreto to score and make it 2-0.
The Sounds never looked back as spot starter Dean Kiekhefer tossed three innings to lead three Nashville pitchers. Danny Coulombe followed with a pair of innings and Bobby Wahl followed suit with the final two frames.
In addition to Laureano's three hits, Beau Taylor went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI and Melvin Mercedes went 2-for-3 with a triple, double, walk and two runs scored. Nashville took advantage of 10 hits and four walks by going 5-for-13 with runners in scoring position.
Game two of the doubleheader is scheduled for Friday night at Principal Park in Des Moines. Right-hander Daniel Mengden (1-0, 0.00) starts for the Cubs against right-hander Eddie Butler (0-2, 15.19) for the Cubs. First pitch is scheduled for 7:08 p.m.
With today's 8-3 win, the Sounds improved to 44-45 on the season.
Five of Nashville's eight runs were scored with two outs.
Right fielder Ramon Laureano extended his hitting streak to 11 games with a single in the first inning.
Dean Kiekhefer started for the third time in his career (371 games) and threw a career-high 65 pitches. Prior to today, Kiekhefer's last start was with Triple-A Memphis on July 5, 2015.
The 2018 season is the Sounds' 41st in franchise history and fourth as the Oakland Athletics' top affiliate. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 13, 2018
- OKC Bats Derail Express, 8-5 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Drop Game Two 8-5 to Dodgers - Round Rock Express
- Memphis Tops Omaha to Win Fifth Straight - Memphis Redbirds
- : Chihuahuas Game Versus Reno Aces Postponed - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Rodriguez's Late Homer Lifts 'Cakes Past Sox - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Splits Twin Bill with Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Split Doubleheader with I-Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Salt Lake Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Winning Streak Hits Five as Sounds Beat Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Offer "Pay-Your-Age" Tickets for Next Friday's Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Fresno Grizzlies Lower Food Prices - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sounds Begin Eight-Game Homestand Monday - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 13, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (57-34) at Omaha Storm Chasers (40-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (July 16-22) - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (43-45) at Iowa Cubs (31-58) - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats late comeback stopped short - Sacramento River Cats
- Three Homers Propel Bees to Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Rainiers Open Second Half With 4-3 Win Over Grizzlies - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma tops Fresno 4-3 Thursday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Reno Offense Shows off Power in Rain-Filled Series Opener - Reno Aces
- Reno Welcomes Chihuahuas back from Break with 8-2 Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds Suffer Extra-Inning Defeat to Dodgers
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Oklahoma City Dodgers (52-42) at Nashville Sounds (47-49)
- Four-Run Sixth Leads Sounds to Win
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Omaha Storm Chasers (42-53) at Nashville Sounds (46-49)
- Sounds Silenced by Storm Chasers