Express Drop Game Two 8-5 to Dodgers
ROUND ROCK, Texas - Round Rock Express (44-47) LF Willie Calhoun finished Friday night's 8-5 loss to the Oklahoma City Dodgers (47-40) at Dell Diamond with a pair of base hits, extending his career-long hitting streak to 17 consecutive games. Over the course of his impressive run that began on June 24th, Calhoun is batting .405 with six doubles and 9 RBI.
Express starter LHP Michael Roth (4-3, 3.92) suffered the loss after he allowed six earned runs on eight hits over 5.0 innings. Earning the win for the Dodgers was starter RHP Tyler Pill (3-3, 5.40) who surrendered four runs, three of them earned, over 5.0 frames on the hill.
Oklahoma City leapt ahead 3-0 through their first three offensive frames as DH Travis Taijeron grounded into a run-scoring double play in the second before 3B Kyle Farmer smacked a two-run double off Roth in the following inning.
Round Rock manufactured a response off Pill in the bottom of the third, pulling within a run of tying the score at 3-2. CF Drew Robinson led off the side with a sharply-hit single to first base, moved to second on an error, and eventual crossed home plate when Calhoun dumped a soft liner into center field.
The next batter, rehabbing Texas Rangers C Carlos Perez, collected his first hit at Dell Diamond on a hard-hit single to left field, bringing home the second E-Train run in the frame. Since joining the club from Double-A Frisco back on July 5th, Perez has driven in six runs on seven hits, including two home runs.
Calhoun would continue producing for Round Rock as the game went on, knocking an RBI double in the fifth and an RBI groundout in the sixth, with Perez plating another on a sacrifice fly in the same inning.
However, the Dodgers kept their foot on the gas pedal to keep Round Rock from stealing a late lead as Taijeron connected on a solo shot in fourth, 1B Edwin Rios struck for two more runs on a double in the fifth, and SS Angelo Mora put a stamp on the Oklahoma City scoring run by crushing a longball of his own in the sixth.
In the ninth, Rios returned to finalize the Dodgers win at 8-5 when he drove in RF Alex Verdugo on a single for his third RBI of the night.
After splitting the first two rounds of the four-game set, Round Rock will look to secure a series lead on Saturday night at Dell Diamond. Express Adrian Sampson (4-3, 5.00) is slated to start on the mound against Dodgers LHP Manny Banuelos (8-4, 3.39). First pitch is set for 6:05 p.m. CDT.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 13, 2018
- OKC Bats Derail Express, 8-5 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Drop Game Two 8-5 to Dodgers - Round Rock Express
- Memphis Tops Omaha to Win Fifth Straight - Memphis Redbirds
- : Chihuahuas Game Versus Reno Aces Postponed - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Rodriguez's Late Homer Lifts 'Cakes Past Sox - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Iowa Splits Twin Bill with Nashville - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds Split Doubleheader with I-Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Salt Lake Bees Return to Smith's Ballpark Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Winning Streak Hits Five as Sounds Beat Cubs - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Offer "Pay-Your-Age" Tickets for Next Friday's Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Fresno Grizzlies Lower Food Prices - Fresno Grizzlies
- Sounds Begin Eight-Game Homestand Monday - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 13, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes at El Paso - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (57-34) at Omaha Storm Chasers (40-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- Memphis Redbirds Homestand Highlights (July 16-22) - Memphis Redbirds
- Nashville Sounds Doubleheader Information: Nashville Sounds (43-45) at Iowa Cubs (31-58) - Nashville Sounds
- River Cats late comeback stopped short - Sacramento River Cats
- Three Homers Propel Bees to Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Rainiers Open Second Half With 4-3 Win Over Grizzlies - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma tops Fresno 4-3 Thursday night - Fresno Grizzlies
- Reno Offense Shows off Power in Rain-Filled Series Opener - Reno Aces
- Reno Welcomes Chihuahuas back from Break with 8-2 Loss - El Paso Chihuahuas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Dell Diamond Named 2018 Baseball Field of the Year
- Home Run Dugout to Debut at Dell Diamond in 2019
- Austin Elite Rugby Selects Dell Diamond for 2019 Major League Rugby Season
- Nolan Ryan & RS3 Turf Launch Custom Line of Sports Field Materials
- Round Rock Express Become Houston Astros Triple-A Affiliate