Nailers Welcome Sellout Crowd on Pittsburgh Penguins Night
WHEELING, WV - The Wheeling Nailers welcomed their largest crowd of the season into WesBanco Arena, as 5,249 fans came for Pittsburgh Penguins Night. Unfortunately, the Nailers fell short in their bid for a three-game sweep on the homestand, as the Reading Royals picked up a 6-3 win, with two-goal nights by Matt Wilkins and Michael Huntebrinker. Cody Wydo, Troy Josephs, and Garrett Meurs were the goal scorers for Wheeling.
The Nailers got the first goal of the night, but Reading answered with a pair to take a lead into the intermission. The first marker was created by Reid Gardiner's blast from the right circle. Branden Komm made the save, but the rebound pounded out to Cody Wydo, who cashed in on the left side. The first tally by the Royals also came off of a rebound, as Matt Wilkins shoveled in the second chance of Frank Hora's initial try. Less than two minutes after that, Reading went ahead, when Matt Willows rushed in, sliding home a shot from the right circle.
The Royals added to their advantage in the middle frame. At the 7:07 mark, Michael Huntebrinker lifted in a power play goal off of a three-way passing play with Steven Swavely and Tyler Brown. Wilkins tipped in a shot by Chris McCarthy for the fourth Reading goal of the evening, and Adam Schmidt followed that up with a lucky bounce from the right side. Troy Josephs got a goal back for Wheeling with 2:47 to go, as he dangled to the front of the cage, jamming a shot through Branden Komm.
Both teams scored once in the third period, as Huntebrinker capitalized off of a turnover for the Royals, while Garrett Meurs roofed a pass from Chris Francis for the Nailers, as the game ended 6-3 in favor of Reading.
Branden Komm got the win in goal for the Royals, making 24 saves on 27 shots. Danny Tirone suffered the defeat in his professional debut for Wheeling, turning aside 18 of 23 shots, before giving way to Adam Morrison, who finishing with 12 saves in the third period.
The Nailers will play a pair of games on the road next weekend, as they visit Worcester on Friday at 7:05, then Adirondack on Saturday at 3:00. Wheeling will then return home for four straight games, starting with a WesBanco Winning Wednesday on March 21st against the Railers. The first 2,500 fans will receive can koozies at the March 23rd game. Saturday, March 24th is Charity Night, benefitting WVU Medicine Children's Hospital. The next big promotional game is Fan Appreciation Night on March 31st, featuring prizes throughout the night, a team trading card set giveaway, and a post game autograph session with the entire team. To purchase tickets, or to get more information about season tickets, flex plans, group tickets, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 10, 2018
- Mavs Fall in OT at Idaho, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Williams Blanks Thunder, 3-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Fall in Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Milner Shuts out Gladiators on Pink in the Rink Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Tripped up by Solar Bears - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oilers Blank Wichita on Alzheimer's Awareness Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Roar Back for Overtime Victory in Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Rebound to Sink Admirals 4-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Mackenzie's Late Game Heroics Boost EverbladesPast IceMen 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Wings Earn Point in Overtime Loss to Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- 'Blades Edge IceMen with Late Goal - Jacksonville IceMen
- Nailers Welcome Sellout Crowd on Pittsburgh Penguins Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Hold off Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Three Straight Goals Doom Norfolk as Admirals Fall 4-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Blank Gladiators 5-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Five-Goal Run Spurs Royals to 6-3 Win in Front of Wheeling Sell-Out Crowd - Reading Royals
- Josephs, Nailers Jump for Joy in Overtime Win - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - March 10 - ECHL
- Game Day: Admirals Roll into Glens Falls to Face Thunder - Norfolk Admirals
- Playoff Implications Big in Weekend Set vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Swamp Rabbits Salute Heroes of the Upstate Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Physical Forward Brennan Saulnier Signed to ATO - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nowick Recalled by Stockton Heat - Kansas City Mavericks
- De Jong Returns to San Antonio - Colorado Eagles
- IceMen Close out Homestand against Florida - Jacksonville IceMen
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, March 10 - Wheeling Nailers
- Gameday - Adirondack (33-21-3-3) vs. Norfolk (23-31-5-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Steelheads (Game II) - Kansas City Mavericks
- Walleye Clinch Playoff Spot - Toledo Walleye
- Royals Hit Final Game of Road Trip at Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Fall in Shootout; Unbeaten in Ten-Straight - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Win Second Straight Shootout Game, 5-4 over Utah - Allen Americans
- Rush Gain Point in Shootout Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Ully Overtime Winner Completes Comeback against KC - Idaho Steelheads
- Eagles Rally for a 4-3 Shootout Win over Rapid City - Colorado Eagles
- Donaghey Scores Twice as Beast Down Norfolk - Brampton Beast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.