Josephs, Nailers Jump for Joy in Overtime Win
WHEELING, WV- The Wheeling Nailers and Reading Royals played the first of back-to-back games this weekend on Friday nights, and fans were on the edges of their seats right until the final goal was scored. That marker went to Troy Josephs, who finished off a three-point night by netting the winning goal at 2:34 of overtime, lifting the Nailers to a 4-3 triumph at WesBanco Arena. The game was also a memorable one for Matt Abt, who scored for Wheeling in his professional debut.
After a scoreless opening period, it was the Nailers who got on the board first at the 6:46 mark of the middle frame. Troy Josephs led a rush into the offensive zone, sifting a pass into the middle of the slot, where a one-timer was pounded into the back of the net by Matt Abt, who collected the goal in his professional debut. Another defenseman connected later in the stanza. Wheeling cashed in on a bad line change by the Royals, with Riley Bourbonnais winding around the cage, before setting up Danny Fick for the strike. Reading broke through 34 seconds after Fick, as Matt Willows stole the puck along the left wall, then buried a shot from the left circle.
The Royals pulled even on the power play at the 11:47 mark of the third period, when Matt Wilkins banged in the rebound of Nolan Zajac's drive from the left point. Wilkins then gave Reading the lead with 3:05 to go, when he spun in a shot from the slot. However, the Nailers came right back, forcing overtime with 1:19 on the clock. Fick rushed the puck through neutral ice, and into the offensive zone, where Josephs fed Garrett Meurs for a right circle attempt. Mark Dekanich made the save, but booted the rebound out to Freddie Tiffels, who pounded in the equalizer.
At the 2:34 mark of overtime, Wheeling sent its fans home happy. Reid Gardiner peeled around along the left side of the goal line, before dropping a pass to Josephs, who thundered in a one-timer from the left circle, punctuating the 4-3 victory for the Nailers.
Adam Morrison made 28 saves on 31 shots to earn the win for Wheeling. Mark Dekanich took the overtime loss for Reading, allowing four goals on 35 shots.
The Nailers and Royals will meet again on Saturday for Pittsburgh Penguins Night at 7:05. Fans can see the Stanley Cup, the Nailers will wear special jerseys, and the first 2,500 fans will receive a Carter Rowney Bobblehead. Less than 500 tickets remain. To purchase tickets, or to get more information about season tickets, flex plans, group tickets, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 10, 2018
- Mavs Fall in OT at Idaho, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Williams Blanks Thunder, 3-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Fall in Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Milner Shuts out Gladiators on Pink in the Rink Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Tripped up by Solar Bears - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oilers Blank Wichita on Alzheimer's Awareness Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Roar Back for Overtime Victory in Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Rebound to Sink Admirals 4-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Mackenzie's Late Game Heroics Boost EverbladesPast IceMen 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Wings Earn Point in Overtime Loss to Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- 'Blades Edge IceMen with Late Goal - Jacksonville IceMen
- Nailers Welcome Sellout Crowd on Pittsburgh Penguins Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Hold off Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Three Straight Goals Doom Norfolk as Admirals Fall 4-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Blank Gladiators 5-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Five-Goal Run Spurs Royals to 6-3 Win in Front of Wheeling Sell-Out Crowd - Reading Royals
- Josephs, Nailers Jump for Joy in Overtime Win - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - March 10 - ECHL
- Game Day: Admirals Roll into Glens Falls to Face Thunder - Norfolk Admirals
- Playoff Implications Big in Weekend Set vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Swamp Rabbits Salute Heroes of the Upstate Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Physical Forward Brennan Saulnier Signed to ATO - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nowick Recalled by Stockton Heat - Kansas City Mavericks
- De Jong Returns to San Antonio - Colorado Eagles
- IceMen Close out Homestand against Florida - Jacksonville IceMen
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, March 10 - Wheeling Nailers
- Gameday - Adirondack (33-21-3-3) vs. Norfolk (23-31-5-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Steelheads (Game II) - Kansas City Mavericks
- Walleye Clinch Playoff Spot - Toledo Walleye
- Royals Hit Final Game of Road Trip at Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Fall in Shootout; Unbeaten in Ten-Straight - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Win Second Straight Shootout Game, 5-4 over Utah - Allen Americans
- Rush Gain Point in Shootout Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Ully Overtime Winner Completes Comeback against KC - Idaho Steelheads
- Eagles Rally for a 4-3 Shootout Win over Rapid City - Colorado Eagles
- Donaghey Scores Twice as Beast Down Norfolk - Brampton Beast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.