'Blades Edge IceMen with Late Goal
For a few moments, it looked like the Icemen were going to rally back against the Florida Everblades late in the third period in front of 8,149 fans, but a late goal by Matt Mackenzie propelled the 'Blades past Jacksonville for the second straight game.
Minutes into the first period, Austin Lotz flashed the glove as Brett Bulmer was all alone in front of the crease to keep the game scoreless. Moments later, captain Garet Hunt and Clark Seymour both got matching minor penalties for cross-checking, so each team would skate four aside. Tim Daly brought the puck into the offensive zone, made a nice move around a defender, and then beat goalie Martin Ouellette glove-side for the 1-0 lead. Rookie Justin Woods tallied the lone assist, giving the defenseman his first professional point.
Florida quickly responded as the second period began. Matt Berry received the puck from Logan Roe at the Icemen's blue line and skated in all by himself before firing off a wrist shot past Lotz. Not too long after, Mitchell Heard brought the puck into the offensive zone on the left side and found Kyle Neuber across the ice for the 2-1 Florida lead. The 'Blades would keep the lead for the remainder of the period.
The 'Blades entered the third period with an impressive 24-1-1 record when leading after two periods, although the Icemen gave it their all to put a dent in that stat. With under eight minutes to play in the game, Kyle Bigos swung the puck on net and Bobby MacIntyre deflected it in for the equalizer. As the clock wound down, Florida capitalized as Lotz was knocked down and Matt Mackenzie scored the game-winner with 2:42 remaining.
Tomorrow, the Icemen travel to North Charleston, South Carolina for a matchup with the Stingrays at 3:05 p.m. Don't miss out when the Icemen return home for their next game at Veterans Memorial Arena on Friday, March 30 at 7:30 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 10, 2018
- Mavs Fall in OT at Idaho, 3-2 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Williams Blanks Thunder, 3-0 - Wichita Thunder
- Cyclones Fall in Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Milner Shuts out Gladiators on Pink in the Rink Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Tripped up by Solar Bears - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Oilers Blank Wichita on Alzheimer's Awareness Night - Tulsa Oilers
- Fuel Roar Back for Overtime Victory in Kalamazoo - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Rebound to Sink Admirals 4-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Mackenzie's Late Game Heroics Boost EverbladesPast IceMen 3-2 - Florida Everblades
- Wings Earn Point in Overtime Loss to Fuel - Kalamazoo Wings
- 'Blades Edge IceMen with Late Goal - Jacksonville IceMen
- Nailers Welcome Sellout Crowd on Pittsburgh Penguins Night - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Hold off Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Three Straight Goals Doom Norfolk as Admirals Fall 4-1 - Norfolk Admirals
- Stingrays Blank Gladiators 5-0 - Atlanta Gladiators
- Five-Goal Run Spurs Royals to 6-3 Win in Front of Wheeling Sell-Out Crowd - Reading Royals
- Josephs, Nailers Jump for Joy in Overtime Win - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - March 10 - ECHL
- Game Day: Admirals Roll into Glens Falls to Face Thunder - Norfolk Admirals
- Playoff Implications Big in Weekend Set vs. Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
- Swamp Rabbits Salute Heroes of the Upstate Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Ft. Wayne - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Physical Forward Brennan Saulnier Signed to ATO - Atlanta Gladiators
- Nowick Recalled by Stockton Heat - Kansas City Mavericks
- De Jong Returns to San Antonio - Colorado Eagles
- IceMen Close out Homestand against Florida - Jacksonville IceMen
- Nailers vs. Royals Game Day Snap Shot, March 10 - Wheeling Nailers
- Gameday - Adirondack (33-21-3-3) vs. Norfolk (23-31-5-1) - Adirondack Thunder
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Steelheads (Game II) - Kansas City Mavericks
- Walleye Clinch Playoff Spot - Toledo Walleye
- Royals Hit Final Game of Road Trip at Wheeling - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Fall in Shootout; Unbeaten in Ten-Straight - Utah Grizzlies
- Americans Win Second Straight Shootout Game, 5-4 over Utah - Allen Americans
- Rush Gain Point in Shootout Loss - Rapid City Rush
- Ully Overtime Winner Completes Comeback against KC - Idaho Steelheads
- Eagles Rally for a 4-3 Shootout Win over Rapid City - Colorado Eagles
- Donaghey Scores Twice as Beast Down Norfolk - Brampton Beast
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.