Mavs Monday: KC Makes Headway with Weekend Sweep in Wichita
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks gained significant ground in the Mountain Division standings and now sit just five points out of playoff position after a thrilling weekend sweep of rival Wichita Thunder over Thanksgiving weekend. After Friday's game was postponed due to unplayable conditions, the Mavericks won Saturday in overtime on a goal from rookie blueliner Zach Osburn. Friday's postponed game continued Sunday afternoon and the Mavs left no doubt, leaving Wichita with a 6-2 win and four points on the weekend.
Last Week's Action
Sat. 11/30: 4-3 (OT) W at Wichita
Sun. 12/1: 6-2 W at Wichita
This Week's Schedule
Fri. 12/6: vs. Wichita Thunder
Sat. 12/7: vs. Fort Wayne Komets
Sun. 12/8: at Wichita Thunder
Mountain Division Standings
1. Rapid City Rush (14-5-3-0, 31 points)
2. Allen Americans (14-4-2-0, 30 points)
3. Idaho Steelheads (11-7-2-2, 26 points)
4. Wichita Thunder (9-7-5-0, 23 points)
5. Tulsa Oilers (9-12-2-0, 20 points)
6. Utah Grizzlies (8-8-2-1, 19 points)
7. Kansas City Mavericks (8-9-2-0, 18 points)
The Mavericks kick off four games in five days this Friday, starting with a home game against the Wichita Thunder. On Saturday, the Mavericks welcome Fort Wayne to town for the annual Teddy Bear Toss and Marvel Super Hero Night. The Mavs travel to Wichita Sunday afternoon and then return home next week for a game against the Indy Fuel on Tuesday night
Pushing The Limit
The Mavericks are 2-0 in overtime against the Wichita Thunder this season.
Mavericks forward Ryan Van Stralen tormented his former team all weekend, scoring four goals against the Thunder Saturday and Sunday and posting a plus-three plus-minus rating.
The Mavericks will play their first "four in five" set of games this season starting this Friday against Wichita. The Mavs play the Fort Wayne Komets Saturday, then travel to Wichita for a Sunday matinee against the Thunder and will host the Indy Fuel on Tuesday to round out the flurry of games before traveling to Florida to face the Florida Everblades and Orlando Solar Bears.
Year Over Year
With a win on Sunday, Mavericks goaltender Nick Schneider tied his win total from last season, notching his seventh win of the young season.
After surprising many during training camp and the preseason, Mavericks rookie forward Bryan Lemos has been an instant contributor in his first pro season. Lemos has 11 points on four goals and seven assists after a three-assist performance against Wichita on Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 2, 2019
- Langan Completes Solar Bears Comeback against Stingrays in 4-3 OT Win - Orlando Solar Bears
- Rays Come up Short to Orlando in OT - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Weekly: Bring Your Teddy to the Game - Toledo Walleye
- ECHL Transactions - December 2 - ECHL
- Admirals Acquire Former 1st-Round Pick Phillips from Worcester - Norfolk Admirals
- Americans Rookie Plus Performer for November - Allen Americans
- Stingrays Weekly Report - December 2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Stingrays - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oil Drops: Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - December 2 - Tulsa Oilers
- Roe Shares Honor as ECHL's AMI Graphics Plus Performer of Month - Florida Everblades
- Allen's Sadek, Florida's Roe Share AMI Graphics/ECHL Plus Performer of the Month - ECHL
- Steelheads Weekly - December 2, 2019 - Idaho Steelheads
- Wednesday's Game at Rapid City Postponed - Wichita Thunder
- Cam Maclise Loaned to AHL's Chicago Wolves - Florida Everblades
- Wednesday's Game vs Thunder Postponed - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Weekly, December 2 - Wichita Thunder
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 8 (November 25 - December 2, 2019) - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday: KC Makes Headway with Weekend Sweep in Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Komets Push Win Streak to Five Games - Fort Wayne Komets
- Royals Weekly Report: 4 Games in Canada this Week - Reading Royals
- Grizzlies Weekly: Utah Completes Successful 4-1 Homestand - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavericks Teddy Bear Toss this Saturday - Kansas City Mavericks
- K-Wings Weekly: Week of December 2 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mariners Weekly: Calling All Teddy Bears - Maine Mariners
- Frechette Named Honig's/ECHL Official of the Month - ECHL
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavs Shutout for First Time All Season, Lose 4-0 to Indy
- Mavs Monday: KC Continues to Roll with Winning Weekend
- Mavs Finish Three-In-Three Weekend with Loss in Wichita
- Mavericks Extend Winning Streak to Four with Commanding 5-1 Win over Fort Wayne
- Mavs Take Third Straight against Thunder with Stifling 4-1 Win